Thread: AMD FGLRX driver crashes window manager

Hybrid View

Beans

AMD FGLRX driver crashes window manager

I have a Lenovo Ideapad Y470 with a . Every time that I install the FGLRX driver through System Settings -> software Sources -> Additional Drivers, my window manager completely crashes after rebooting, and I receive a blank desktop. I can open a terminal window and load up applications if I want to, but no window manager. If I switch to Gnome, I can also get around.

I have also found that I have the exact same problem if I switch to Linux Mint and try to use Cinnamon, so I know that the problem is not Unity.

I've tried enable the nomodeset option in GRUB, but that does not seem to have an effect.

I tried a fresh install, first ran updates and installed linux-headers-generic, and then attempted to install the beta driver from AMD's website.

After rebooting, I received an error about xorg not being configured, and it asked me if I wanted to restore the default configuration, which I did.

Now, after reboot I just boot to the Ubuntu graphical login prompt followed by black screen. Not sure what to do...

Could this possibly have something to do with the hybrid Intel/AMD graphics that come with this laptop?

Beans

Re: AMD FGLRX driver crashes window manager

Could this possibly have something to do with the hybrid Intel/AMD graphics that come with this laptop?
    Yes. You need to get to a terminal and completely remove the AMD driver: http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...talyst.2Ffglrx

Installing the AMD driver borks open-source drivers (like intel), hence no desktop when you install it. I don't know what the best solution for this hybrid nonsense is nowadays, but check: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1930450

Beans

I think I've made a little bit of progress using that guide.. After completing it, when I reboot, I come to a black screen that seems to last about 15 seconds, followed by a desktop where Unity is invisible. If I click in the locations where icons would be, the applictions open successfully, but the whole thing is invisible.

Additionally, if I run fglrxinfo, I get this series of errors:

Setting of real/effective user Id to 0/0 failed
    libGL error: open uki failed (Operation not permitted)
    libGL error: reverting to (slow) indirect rendering
    direct rendering: No (If you want to find out why, try setting LIBGL_DEBUG=verbose)
    OpenGL renderer string: AMD Radeon HD 7670M

If I try running glxgears, I get extreme lag..

EDIT: New problem.. I was able to get glxgears running at normal speed and resolve the "Setting of real/effective user Id to 0/0 failed" by using this command:

sudo chmod -R 777 /proc/ati/

However, this solution only works until I reboot (and doesn't make Unity visible). After reboot the problem is back, and Unity is still invisible.
    Last edited by eric_r2; October 2nd, 2013 at 02:50 AM.

Beans

I have now resolved this by adding:

chmod -R 777 /proc/ati/

to the /etc/rc.local file. Thanks to everyone that helped! The laptop still freezes to a black screen after suspend though...

Beans

You could try this guide posted by Niccola ... http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...9#post12755069

It worked perfectly on my AMD/Intel hybrid GPU based HP notebook running Quantal!

Beans

You could try this guide posted by Niccola ... http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...9#post12755069

It worked perfectly on my AMD/Intel hybrid GPU based HP notebook!

Mods: Could you please delete this post as it got repeated. Sorry for the inconvenience!
    Last edited by Feby_Philip_Abraham; October 4th, 2013 at 04:30 AM.