Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: newbish setting up for basic web/email server

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Beans
    47

    newbish setting up for basic web/email server

    I am tired of problems with shared hosting, so I signed up for a VPS. I also don't want to pay for cPanel, I also don't need to provide a control panel to my customers. I fully manage their websites. It would be nice if I could provide them with an interface to setup emails/forwarders/auto-responders themselves, but it is not necessary.

    I am only a little familiar with installing and setting up things like Apache2, mySQL, PHP5, phpMyAdmin, etc. I can make it work, but I need to do just a bit more than that.

    Things I need;
    1. Apache2 w/PHP & mySQL (phpMyAdmin)
      • I need to serve more than 1 website. I think these are called virtual hosts (example.com points to var/www/example.com/html/ and website.com points to var/www/website.com/html/ etc.)

    2. IMAP & POP3 email
      • I also would like to be able to connect securely, so need an ssl certificate. Can I generate a self signed one for this purpose?


    I think thats really it.

    How hard is it to do this via command line/ssh by just editing the config files? Previously with cPanel, I would just add domains to my account, add emails to domains, and occasionally set MX records to point to Google.

    Looking for some advice on how to proceed. (good how to articles etc) So far Google has not been much help, I may not have the terminology right.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Beans
    7,953
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

    Re: newbish setting up for basic web/email server

    Quote Originally Posted by nobodyfamous View Post
    Things I need;
    Apache2 w/PHP & mySQL (phpMyAdmin)
    • I need to serve more than 1 website. I think these are called virtual hosts (example.com points to var/www/example.com/html/ and website.com points to var/www/website.com/html/ etc.)
    If you are running default Ubuntu, there is a default virtual host configuration file in /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/000-default.conf It will point to /var/www/ as the DocumentRoot, but you can change that if you think you will have more than one virtual host. Just add new directories and then point to them as DocumentRoot, making a new configuration file for each virtual host.
    The Truth Shall Make Ye Fret.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Beans
    174

    Re: newbish setting up for basic web/email server

    Quote Originally Posted by nobodyfamous View Post
    I am tired of problems with shared hosting, so I signed up for a VPS. I also don't want to pay for cPanel, I also don't need to provide a control panel to my customers. I fully manage their websites. It would be nice if I could provide them with an interface to setup emails/forwarders/auto-responders themselves, but it is not necessary.

    I am only a little familiar with installing and setting up things like Apache2, mySQL, PHP5, phpMyAdmin, etc. I can make it work, but I need to do just a bit more than that.

    Things I need;
    1. Apache2 w/PHP & mySQL (phpMyAdmin)
      • I need to serve more than 1 website. I think these are called virtual hosts (example.com points to var/www/example.com/html/ and website.com points to var/www/website.com/html/ etc.)

    2. IMAP & POP3 email
      • I also would like to be able to connect securely, so need an ssl certificate. Can I generate a self signed one for this purpose?



    I think thats really it.

    How hard is it to do this via command line/ssh by just editing the config files? Previously with cPanel, I would just add domains to my account, add emails to domains, and occasionally set MX records to point to Google.

    Looking for some advice on how to proceed. (good how to articles etc) So far Google has not been much help, I may not have the terminology right.
    I used this with nginx. This is for Apache. http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-se...ot-ispconfig-3

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Beans
    47

    Re: newbish setting up for basic web/email server

    I want to see about doing it without a "control panel" I tried out zPanel, and it's not going so well. I attempted to try ispConfig on a local virtual box without success, after all was said and done I could not access it due to some sort of ssl/https thing. it just never worked. I may try it again, the demo looks promising. The thing is, I don't need all the extra user/reseller stuff. I will not be creating invoices or collecting money through the system either.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Metro Boston
    Beans
    9,572
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: newbish setting up for basic web/email server

    Have you read the Server Guide yet?
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

    Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Makati City, Philippines
    Beans
    1,884
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: newbish setting up for basic web/email server

    Full featured mail server that we use.
    http://www.iredmail.org/
    Installation in just a few minutes.
    http://www.iredmail.org/install_iredmail_on_ubuntu.html
    You know what solved my problems? GOOGLE Searches!
    The best Ubuntu derivative: Linux Mint
    Relax. Head to the Community Cafe
    The Philippine Team

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Storybrooke
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: newbish setting up for basic web/email server

    Quote Originally Posted by nobodyfamous View Post
    I want to see about doing it without a "control panel" I tried out zPanel, and it's not going so well. I attempted to try ispConfig on a local virtual box without success, after all was said and done I could not access it due to some sort of ssl/https thing. it just never worked. I may try it again, the demo looks promising. The thing is, I don't need all the extra user/reseller stuff. I will not be creating invoices or collecting money through the system either.
    Have you tried OpenLiteSpeed? - free and has web control panel that is easy to use. The web interface only has to do with the web server configuration itself, so you will have to use something like axigen, iredmail, or some other email system in addition to openlitespeed

    Packages for openlitespeed can be found at https://launchpad.net/~sandyd/+archi...tespeed-stable
    Last edited by sandyd; October 3rd, 2013 at 08:44 PM.
    Ubuntu Forums Moderation Staff
    Okay then. We're relying on mirror dust and fairies but now we have a plan which is progress - Emma

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Beans
    47

    Re: newbish setting up for basic web/email server

    thank for the info so far, I will be looking into it. I have read the server guide, just not getting very far with it. I think I will give ispConfig a go first since I never got it to work the first time around.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Beans
    47

    Re: newbish setting up for basic web/email server

    well, I gave ispConfig another whirl. I don't like the way it sets up so many folders and sym links. It also was not a 1 shot deal to setup new virtual hosts, or emails. I looked into webmin, and thats pretty close to just editing the files manually, which looks good to me, except I don't know what I am doing just yet. On a similar note, virtualmin looks like 1 step closer to a WHM/cPanel simplicity in setup, yet functions on webmin, so I still have the basic control. I think virtualmin is going to be the way I go.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •