Thread: characters squares instead of letters

Beans

characters squares instead of letters

Hi,

I have very strange problem who comes with latest update on my Ubuntu 12.04x64. I tried to reinstall desktop, but problem ist still here.
    The problem is in characters squares instead of letters.

Can someone explain me please, what is going wrong? I have la Lenovo laptop with intel Centrino 2 chipset and Intel graphic till today without problems.

Thank you for any help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: characters squares instead of letters

I have encountered this before, with Linux and other OSes, and on cellphones (dumb and smart). It has always appeared to me that the computer is trying to display some text which isn't included in the OS - eg I tell my pc during installation that I use British English, so the OS's locale doesn't bother including non-English characters. So, when I try to read a file that includes say Cyrillic or Chinese characters, the computer doesn't know what it is all about and prints squares instead. I don't know a work-around, except seeing if you can install the required locale files.
    "All people are scum. No matter what they look like." ~ Spider Jerusalem, Transmetropolitan #4
    blog photoblog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Your probably are trying to view international characters with a limited character set. Change your locale and characters appropriately - usually UTF8 is what you want.

sudo dpkg-reconfigure console- .... something. Don't have time to look it up now. console-common console-data console-setup are the choices.

Beans

Ok. Thank you for your help. I will try to reinstall (third time ) and I will set character set to English (UK) and only a LibreOffice to my local language.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Voncina View Post
    Ok. Thank you for your help. I will try to reinstall (third time ) and I will set character set to English (UK) and only a LibreOffice to my local language.
    Why reinstall to OS? Just run those commands and select a different characterset. UTF8 should cover it. This isn't a big deal. 3 minutes. Uh ... the file system should also be UTF8 when created. I thought that was the default - perhaps I'm wrong

You can read the wikipedia articles on UTF8 and locales to understand more.