Thread: Forum account auto-created with an unwanted username after registering at Ubuntu One

inging2 is offline Ubuntu Green Coffee Beans
    Beans

Forum account auto-created with an unwanted username after registering at Ubuntu One

Hello, the name I got from my Ubuntu One account is inging. While being quite surprised that I was able to get that username at Ubuntu One, I got an automated email notifying me that I am inging2 in this forum without my consent. Just because I wanted inging as my username doesn't automatically make me want the name inging2 at a separate forum. I hope you guys can at least notify the user and give them a chance to deny this option before the forum account is created alongside with Ubuntu One.

Please change my name in this forum to inging if that is possible, but I assume I got inging2 due to the fact that there is already an inging here, and if that is so please delete my account in this forum permanently.

Thank you.

Beans

Re: Forum account auto-created with an unwanted username after registering at Ubuntu

Oh no. I actually wanted a forum account to begin with and was force to get an account at Ubuntu One and then got really confused as in why my name became inging2 when it already approved of inging!

Anyway, my request remain unchanged. Please change my name to inging if it's possible, and let other people have the change to choose their name instead of generating one for them. Just remove that part where I complained about the forum account being auto-created, it was not. I just have Alzheimer's.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Forum account auto-created with an unwanted username after registering at Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by inging2 View Post
    I hope you guys can at least notify the user
    We do. There's a large pre-login notice that is difficult to miss:

Which links to this sticky which explains it all, particularly the bit about username2 type usernames.

if that is so please delete my account in this forum permanently.
    Why would you want to deny yourself the opportunity of joining this form community just because your preferred username is already taken by one of the nearly 2 million accounts that precede yours? If you really want to stay and don't like the inging2 name, I can change this for you if you provide three alternatives in order of preference.

loginhaschanged.jpg
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Anyway, my request remain unchanged. Please change my name to inging if it's possible, and let other people have the change to choose their name instead of generating one for them.
    You posted while I was typing up my previous post. Just to confirm - the username inging is already taken, but I can change your username if you wish to something else.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Thanks for the quick reply. Yes sorry about the slow double post, my brain was messed up.

By notifying the user, I meant to notify the user so they could have a chance to deny the generated forum name and change their forum name before it's automatically finalized. So then people like me won't have to bother others for name changing . :\

It's alright, just delete this account. Thanks for the help!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

By notifying the user, I meant to notify the user so they could have a chance to deny the generated forum name and change their forum name before it's automatically finalized. So then people like me won't have to bother others for name changing . :\
    We have no control over how Ubuntu One SSO works, but it's an interesting suggestion. However, my guess is that it would be difficult if not impossible to implement, judging by the problems Canonical IS have already uncovered in adapting the vbulletin code to work well with this login system.

It's alright, just delete this account. Thanks for the help!
    We don't delete accounts, but I will disable this one.