Thread: Grub Rescue Error

Beans

Grub Rescue Error

Hey, so my sole computer now only boots to grubrescue with a "no such partition found" error after trying to partition a new bootable drive of 10.4 over the past couple of days. I've tried looking up the hard drives within grubrescue and seeing which of them are unknown file systems, and they're ALL unknown file systems... I'm going to try to flash a LiveCD of windows to USB to use tomorrow and try to get that method working.

The other thing is, when my MSI screen splash flashes on boot up, the options to enter BIOS Setup and Recovery aren't there.

I've tried to boot into the BIOS during the splash screen, I've tried booting to recovery, none of the keys work and all I'm left with is the grub rescue screen.

Please help, I'm about to freak out. I have A LOT of code to write for university and I have no computer!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Re: Grub Rescue Error

Hi and welcome,

See if this help page works for you : https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair
    bhatta

May the Source be with you !
    Ash nazg durbatulūk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulūk, agh
    'Buntu-ishi krimpatul !

Beans

I can't get into ubuntu or windows so that information is pretty useless to me

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

You dont have to get into any OS,

Please have a look at 2nd Option on that help page :boot your computer with a Ubuntu live DVD or USB, use 'Try Ubnuntu' & from the live session you connect to net & install the boot repair.

try & see if that information is still useless.
    bhatta

May the Source be with you !
    Ash nazg durbatulūk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulūk, agh
    'Buntu-ishi krimpatul !

Beans

What I'm saying is I can't get it to load from the USB ISO of Ubuntu I have plugged in. I can't access the bios or recovery from the splash screen so I'm basically stuck in grubrescue.

If there's a way to load up the ISO from within grubrescue then that would be ideal although I haven't found a way to do that as of yet.

Thanks for the quick responses though!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Push the button of your comp/laptop and do a hard PowerOff.
    Than you start again and go in the Bios. Normally with F2 or Del. Or you open the boot-up section with F12 or F8. (push more than ones the button in when you start up if you don't see the boot screen.)
    Dutch speaking; understand English, writing is a bit difficult. Member of: http://forum.ubuntu-nl.org
    be Open be Free be Ubuntu Reg. User #485479
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander - Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr