Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Virtual XP is safe?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Virtual XP is safe?

Beauty of Virtual machines after you set it up back up the disk image. if the macchine gets infected or hacked delete and restore image from backup.

Beans

Actually since XP is no longer going to receive updates, that's a really good plan.

In other words, every time you boot you boot from the latest snapshot. You do what you do, (certainly you don't want to do anything with a credit card or bank account) and whether you get infected or not, it doesn't really matter. You shut it down, and when you boot it comes back to the snapshot.

You don't get to save changes this way, but you can always start with a clean box.

Beans

Smile Re: Virtual XP is safe?

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    Just posted on another thread about this very topic. I run XP in a VM. I will disable the VM NIC come April 2014 and thereby sandbox XP within the VM. It won't have any further communication with the big bad outside world and will be stuck with whatever I've now got installed on it and nothing more. If you can religiously isolate XP this way, it should be as safe as anything else on your box. If you reconnect the NIC and decide to surf with it, all bets are off.
    If the writer of the above post (or anyone else on the forum) can answer my question, I'd be grateful.
    This sounds like an interesting idea, however forgive my ignorance, but how does one 'sandbox' a virtual XP and disable the 'NIC' (I assume that stands for network card?). Note I use only a single machine for use at home (not on any network). Thanks.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by knarf2 View Post
    If the writer of the above post (or anyone else on the forum) can answer my question, I'd be grateful.
    This sounds like an interesting idea, however forgive my ignorance, but how does one 'sandbox' a virtual XP and disable the 'NIC' (I assume that stands for network card?). Note I use only a single machine for use at home (not on any network). Thanks.
    Run it in a virtual machine and disable the network card in the virtual machine configuration.

How you accomplish that depends on what virtualization sofware you use (VirtualBox/KVM/VMWare/etc).
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12