Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Virtual XP is safe?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Virtual XP is safe?

I heard xp will be dropped next year.
    I am using vmware player for xp in ubuntu.
    Is it still safe to use virual xp(NAT mode) after 2014?
    Will linux system guard my computer?

Beans

Re: Virtual XP is safe?

Why do you want virtual xp to go on the internet anyway? If it doesn't go on the internet then of course it is safe.

Beans

No. The VM is the same thing as running the computer on real hardware. It has no magical protection of XP from the big bad world. It's the same thing as running it behind your wireless router. You can't be attacked from outside, but you can visit a website that has malware on it, or you can get email with malware on it, or any of the other ways XP would be vulnerable.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Just posted on another thread about this very topic. I run XP in a VM. I will disable the VM NIC come April 2014 and thereby sandbox XP within the VM. It won't have any further communication with the big bad outside world and will be stuck with whatever I've now got installed on it and nothing more. If you can religiously isolate XP this way, it should be as safe as anything else on your box. If you reconnect the NIC and decide to surf with it, all bets are off.
    Newb: How far must I jump to clear the ledge halfway down?
    Guru: It's bad to jump off cliffs. Let's look at better options.
    Newb: Stop harping about "best practices" and just let me jump.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by monkeybrain20122 View Post
    Why do you want virtual xp to go on the internet anyway? If it doesn't go on the internet then of course it is safe.
    Oh. Internet is the reason to use xp for active-X based service.
    If it's dangerous, I should think about windows 8 license.
    Sad

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by jeehyun View Post
    ...If it's dangerous, I should think about windows 8 license.
    ActiveX is one of the primary reasons why the Internet is infested with botnets. It is one of the worst scripting languages in existence and is like letting a ten-year-old juggle with hand grenades. Java and Flash are scary enough, but I dropped IE years ago and converted to FireFox (with NoScript installed to also restrict both Java and Flash) precisely to get rid of ActiveX. If you simply have to use it (for, say, a work site), then you have no other real choice but IE, as no other Linux browser that I'm aware of provides native support for ActiveX. FireFox has a plugin, but all it does is invoke IE in a tab, which obviously won't work on Linux. This means that, come April of next year when XP reaches end of life, you will have to move on to either Win 7 or 8.

If someone has another solution, I would love to know about it.
    Newb: How far must I jump to clear the ledge halfway down?
    Guru: It's bad to jump off cliffs. Let's look at better options.
    Newb: Stop harping about "best practices" and just let me jump.

Beans

If you're working inside a corporate firewall, then the site admins can prevent access to the outside world and you can use XP and ActiveX.

I agree with DuckHook's assessment of ActiveX and its relation to malware.

The good news is that there is a lot of new, good tech out there and techniques to minimize risk on other things.

XP was the workhorse Windows of its day, but now if I had to switch it up I'd probably go to Windows 7, it's the best desktop license of the recent ones.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

One thing you can do is take a snapshot of the XP VM and store it away safely. Then if the running version is borked, you can delete the VM and replace it with the clean snapshot. I usually do this right after I have installed Windows and any other software like Office into the VM so I know I'm starting with a clean copy.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thank you everybody

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    One thing you can do is take a snapshot of the XP VM and store it away safely. Then if the running version is borked, you can delete the VM and replace it with the clean snapshot. I usually do this right after I have installed Windows and any other software like Office into the VM so I know I'm starting with a clean copy.
    I do that after I run updates. Quite handy.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast