Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How well does WOW work in wine?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: How well does WOW work in wine?

When you say "flawlessly" -- Are you getting comparable frame rates?
    Actually, yes. Frame rates are comparable across platforms. Loading times are noticably faster.

System RAM may have an effect, since the Windows API has to be loaded when running in Wine. Also, I suppose 3D acceleration in certain chipsets may not be as well supported as it is in Windows.

Beans

Re: How well does WOW work in wine?

I got WoW working in Wine and I am really happy with how it's running. No lag in Ogrimar! I just built this machine so I am still experimenting, but it is:

Asus P5LD2 motherboard
    Pentium D 930 (3.0 GHz)
    2 gigs of Corsair matched ram
    eVGA nVidia 7300GT 512MB graphics card in PCI express

I have a Samsung SyncMaster 17" LCD so not real large. My normal resolution is 1280x1024. I run WoW in a virtual desktop in wine at 1152x864. No issues with it bumping parts of the Gnome panel or changing resolutions. And really quite playable for me at that size. And I can use teh regular desktop switcher to flip desktops real quick and use a web vrowser to check on the location of something or a map or...whatever... and then pop back over to the desktop with WoW running on it.

Probably better ways to do this, but it's working and I'm lazy and I probably won't change it now

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12