Thread: Frustrated again

Beans

Frustrated again

I cannot say how many Linux OS releases I've tried. Years ago it was Red Hat and Mandrake and others whose names fail me, though I still have the discs somewhere. Oh, yes, Fedora was one. Tried that a lot, actually, and Debian. A friend steered me to Ubuntu at release 7.04 and I have been focusing on it now for the past few years. Have almost all since, 10, 11, 12, and now 13.04. Again, hopeful and desperately wanting out of Windows - I can't consider Mac: tried, but it only requires about a half hour of review scanning on line to slam that door every time.

A month ago I installed 13.04 on both my new desktop and the new laptop. What a bunch of crap. I'm serious. I'm running a business and have no intention of hiring a Linux IT pro just to do the computer work. The breaking point this time? Trying to find, buy, and install a website development program to allow me to work the business site. Unbelievable. This stupid freaking Ubuntu One, or Cloud or whatever it is - I'm all signed up and have the account, ready to go. Locating and attempting to purchase the program (I'd LOVE to be able to try) resulted in continual lockups, repeating "Ubuntu has developed a serious internal error" (or some such rubbish - forgive my language: there is a British movie on in the background and I'm about to start talk like the Queen) and I'd get cycled back to the beginning again and again. I've spent an hour trying - and failing - to get and load what should be a simple and straightforward tool.

So again, I'm gone. These programs will never be usable by anyone who doesn't wish to be a full-time Linux pro, sitting at a terminal and wrestling with the stuttering, staggering incompetence of an operating system that is like going to sea floating on a big raft of tied planks and then trying to build a boat. I need a real computer, not a security system monitor, or a cash register, or a word processor. It has to do everything: graphics, web development, book manufacture, database, spreadsheet, and more, and flow from one to the other seamlessly. I don't have time to learn Swahili just to talk to my customers, or face a barren wasteland of available software to do the jobs I need done. What good does it do to run Linux if I'm left to install a virtual box or Windows emulator?

I'm not a stupid man, but I am running out of patience waiting for this Great Promise (and I mean that in the most sincere way possible) to bear fruit. Of course, I will continue to get each new release and try and try and try, but there are times I just shake my head and think, "Man, this is a freakin' Joke."

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Frustrated again

So what are you moaning about?
    That you can't find a program that does what you want, or that you found a program but don't know how to install it, or you installed something and aren't happy with the way it works?

I presume you haven't asked for help with whatever your problem is. Perhaps you should. People on these forums are always happy to help.

Beans

I actually found a post that has matched my feelings in the past about the operating system!! and sadly I still at times have that same error "Ubuntu encountered a serious error" and have repeatedly filed, completed and included bug reports to no end. I've finally given up on success with this but as one user told me, "things may not run correctly in Ubuntu on hardware built for windows. I've since discovered that most of your, my and others issues encountered has to do with the hardware to software syergy, which has always plagued the IT world with one moving faster than the other, or something not being changed or updated when the other one changes.

I feel for you and your frustrations, but for me I'm a Linux Administrator and love my position unlike you who needs this to serve a completey different purpose, which I sympathize you on.

I wish you the best and would urge you to not let it bother you so much and as suggested previously, if you love Ubuntu, use it on your non essential machine, or your play machine and be a part time administrator.

Good Luck.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by poettone View Post
    ... filed, completed and included bug reports ....
    Links?
    de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum -- Wiktionary

Beans

I remember having the "Ubuntu encountered an internal error" message several time every session in 12.04, it turned out to be an apport bug (apport is the program that reports internal errors), once it actually reported that it (apport) has encountered an internal error itself. Just remove or disable apport would solve the problem. It is not supposed to be enabled anyway after final release, it is used for reporting bugs during beta testing.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye25 View Post
    The breaking point this time? Trying to find, buy, and install a website development program to allow me to work the business site. Unbelievable. This stupid freaking Ubuntu One, or Cloud or whatever it is - I'm all signed up and have the account, ready to go. Locating and attempting to purchase the program (I'd LOVE to be able to try) resulted in continual lockups, repeating "Ubuntu has developed a serious internal error" (or some such rubbish - forgive my language: there is a British movie on in the background and I'm about to start talk like the Queen) and I'd get cycled back to the beginning again and again. I've spent an hour trying - and failing - to get and load what should be a simple and straightforward tool.

what programme? there are geany and blue fish for web development for example. what is wrong with those. there is gedit, kate, vim, nano.... there are many tools for webdevelopment that are just ready to be deployed (worpress, joomla, drupal, opencart, zencart...) all free and free of charge and ready and used in many businesses. just look at their references and you'll see what amazing thing have been done wiht them. most web is also running on linux. google, facebook etc run on linux servers. yet you claim there is no web development programme in linux? surely, you must be joking.

I'm running a business and have no intention of hiring a Linux IT pro just to do the computer work.
    - well then i guess you will have to solve it by yourself then. obviously you know how.

we have a business too and are not afraid to ask and get help. be it in windows or linux. no one from regular people has such amount of knowledge of operating systems.

finnally use what works for you.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

If you're running a business you should be using an LTS release, not leaping from release to release every nine months. Set up an LTS and stick with it for the next five years. If you're installing the next new thing every time one is available then you are asking to be continually tweaking. Play with whatever distros/releases you like on your own computer, on a spare partition and in your own time. Make the business machines 12.04 LTS.

Thread Closed

Reason: From the forum Code of Conduct:

Attacks and derogatory terms of any kind are not welcome. This includes references to any operating systems or the companies that produce them
    Nothing more to say. If you want some support, please post in the appropriate sub-forum. Thanks.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; October 1st, 2013 at 08:00 AM.