Thread: No networking access from USB Boot of Ubuntu OS (unknown version)

Beans

Unhappy No networking access from USB Boot of Ubuntu OS (unknown version)

Hi everyone,
    Hopefully I am posting this in the right forum (and to the right people). I am setting up my office and trying to setup all the applications from my employer. They have sent me a USB stick with a bootable secure desktop on it - from what I understand it's ubuntu (i think - it looks a bit mac-ish).

*UPDATE* I found something that refers to DEBIAN when i tried it again. Still same issue. I found lots of posts that say to download a new realtek driver for unix/linux but I don't know how to do that from windows - I can't edit anything on their USB stick, it's on lockdown....

I am not savvy at all with this, so line commands and such I won't be quick to understand.

I have an HP Pavillion G7 laptop. Running windows 7 Home 64-bit, Intel core i3-2330M CPU
    I have a Ralink wireless network adapter but I am not allowed to connect wireless with their system. The other adapter listed is a Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller for regular LAN connection, so I am using that right now. I have internet access on my windows profile, but when I boot to their USB device it pops up saying:

WIRED NETWORK
    Disconnected - you are now offline

I've spent about 4 hours with their technical support teams who have offered no help or information and have decided simply that my network adapter is incompatible. Is there something I can download or install on my laptop to sort this out?

I wish I could give more information but that's all I have - It is also a totally secured USB Stick, so modifying anything on that particular device is a no go as well
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mirka2; October 1st, 2013 at 04:26 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: No networking access from USB Boot of Ubuntu OS (unknown version)

If you create your own USB stick with the latest Buntu and boots into the live environment, do you then get wired access?
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.