Thread: Ubuntu 13.04 Partition Problem

Beans

Ubuntu 13.04 Partition Problem

Hi,

I'm interested in Dual Booting Mac OS X and Ubuntu with a view to permanently using Ubuntu on my Mid 2010 2.93 GHz Intel i7 Core iMac OS X 10.8.5

I installed the rEFlt Boot manager, used Disk Utility to shrink OS X to free up space for Ubuntu, inserted my freshly burned latest Ubuntu13.04 64bit CD & restarted.
    Unfortunately, things didn't go to plan, Ubuntu didn't install to the freed up space and screwed up OS X, I have since installed a fresh OSX 10.8.5 using the whole disc,
    and need to prepare my iMac for Ubuntu again.

I understand that Ubuntu needs a boot partition, a swap file partition and a home partition.

I need some help with how to make these partitions on my iMac and how to direct Ubuntu
    into using these partitions?

Will someone please advise me if I should install the rEFind Boot Manager instead of rEFlt?

Regards to all,

Roy

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Ubuntu 13.04 Partition Problem

I have not installed ubuntu on a mac before but the process should be quite similar to the one i will list below.
    boot from a live cd and start the installation. when you come up with the dialog box listing where ubuntu will be installed or Installation type it is called if i am not mistaken, select the
    option "Something else" and you should be able to create partitions on the free space you created and install ubuntu.
    Hope this helps and best of luck.

Beans

Hi Bibek,

Many thanks for your reply.

My previous attempt to install Ubuntu I did select the "Something Else" choice, but my attempt to create the necessary partitions was an abject failure. I need clear step by step instructions?

Many years ago, as a hobby, I used to maintain a library of every available Linux distribution, some tricky to get the Graphics Card working, even getting the mouse to work was a pain with some Linux flavours.
    This time round, at 80 years of age, I've long since forgotten how to write code etc.

I hate asking for help, but I really do need step by step partitioning instructions?

Kind regards,

Roy

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

this link http://www.rodsbooks.com/ubuntu-efi/ should be of use. I think this is detailed enough for you to follow and you should be fine if you follow the instructions here. best of luck. you may have to click on the + sign instead as the add button in the partitioning section of that guide as the interface has changed a little bit since the guide was written. do update us with your progress. thanks.
    Last edited by Bibek; October 1st, 2013 at 06:26 PM.