Thread: Video play back is stuck at 1.5-2x playback speed

Beans

Video play back is stuck at 1.5-2x playback speed

Hello all,

I recently downloaded Ubuntu 12.04 to my Nokia Booklet 3G RX-75 Netbook style laptop. I love it, and think it works great. It has worked wonders for the speed and efficiency of a netbook that was bogged down and slow with windows 7. On to my issue

I have been searching through this forum for 3 days know, trouble shooting a variety of different posts, and other websites potential resolutions to the issue of video playback.

PROBLEM: video playback, for all browsers (web-based video playback) is at at least 1.5x spead, and i can not figure out how to resolve the issue

WHAT I HAVE TRIED:
    1. I started with firefox as my browser. I removed it, added Chrome and tried again. the problem was not resolved.
    2. I added chromium, removed chrome, and tried again to play a video and the issue persisted.
    3. I added chrome back, and started playing around with the plugins. I would enable and disable different plugins and refresh the brownser, and none of the combinations solved the problem
    4. I started this process with the stock ubuntu video player setting (flash i guess), as a lot of the potential solutions I read talked about pulse audio, smplayer, vlc player, etc. However, i did not have any of those downloaded at the time, so i could bot adjust the settings or kill the application in the terminal
    5. In turn, I added them, and tried to adjust the video playback none of it worked
    6. I started to check the bios screen in order to turn of the sound board, and put in a code within the terminal,but my bios screen (when i press f2) does not reference any audio sections.
    7. when I go into setting>sounds the only option to choose is the speaker built in audio
      1. I never thought it was a sound issue, the sound has always sounded fine, the only reason it is choppy is because it was playing at 1.5 speed

8. I want to say i tried a few more things, but there have been so many that I can't remember all the threads I read.
    9. I just tried ryhthmbox and it plays at 1.5 times speed as well.
    10. I tried Pandora Radio and it plays at 1.5x speed
    11. I noticed also, in rythym box that the sound cuts out at anywhere from 5-30 seconds of play.
      1. this does not happen in any of the other mediums mentioned above

Anyway, please help, I would like to be able to listen to music and or watch video because ubuntu has been so great otherwise. i should mention when I was using windows 7 this was not an issue with video (it would buffer from time to time, but not this)

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Video play back is stuck at 1.5-2x playback speed

Is this also the issue with movies on youtube? Maybe it helps installing/updating the flashplugin
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install adobe-flashplugin
    It can also be that it has to do with the plugin used by the browser. A quick google resulted into this suggestion:
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/14169...st-with-chrome
    Last edited by peertje; September 30th, 2013 at 06:51 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thread moved to Multimedia & Video.

Welcome. You might have more luck here. We'll be gentle.

PS: You've gone from slow-motion Win to fast motion Ubuntu in more ways than one!
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; September 25th, 2013 at 07:43 PM.

Beans

Thank you for the response. The problem I have when opening the terminal, at least in this case, as soon as I press enter after enetering in your text, it asks for the password for Donnald. i am not sure what to type here, but in trouble shooting (i.e. my log in password) everytime I type something it immediately rejects it and asks me to try again. I typically just kill the terminal and try again, with the same result.

Any advice?

Beans

Thank you, yes it seems like you were right, I got a response. I hope this forum can help me.

Beans

also, I linked to your article about the plugins, and i do not have the same three plugins that the user had. i only have two. one is the ppapi (out of process) and the other is the npapi. I have enabled and disabled them in every way imaginable with no results.

Where would I go to get the third plugin?