Thread: SMPlayer / MPlayer

Beans

SMPlayer / MPlayer

Hi, everybody

I've been looking into downloading SMplayer and there's lot of the talk about it being a great "Front end for MPlayer". Does this mean I also have to d/l MPlayer to make smplayer function properly or will all be taken care of via Synaptic Package Manager?

Regards,

Hux

Beans

Re: SMPlayer / MPlayer

If you run apt-cache show smplayer or apt-get install -s smplayer, you'll see what else will be installed as depends and as recommends. Most likely, though, you'll already be having `mplayer`. You can check that using dpkg --get-selections | grep "mplayer".

Synaptic PM, by default, installs recommends as well.

Beans

Installing smplayer brings in mplayer as a dependency if you do not already have it installed. Just use "sudo apt-get install smplayer" or install it from a package manager.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Thanks, Vasa & Seiji. I used synaptic package manager and It's all installed and working fine. Also I looked up what "front-end" means so it's all clear now.
    Never drive faster than you can see and besides that, it's all in the reflexes...