Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Observatory] Daily/Weekly native commercial linux videogames

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

[Observatory] Daily/Weekly native commercial linux videogames

Well, what did just happen?

I was taking a look at Steam's linux game list and suddenly realize something.

Wow! This september month has gone crazy: 15 new native linux commercial such as

Legends of Aethereus
    Dysfunctional Systems: Learning to Manage Chaos
    Timelines: Assault on America
    Castle Story
    Doorways: Chapter 1 & 2
    Verdun Beta
    Ironclad Tactics
    Legend of Dungeon
    Superfrog HD
    Wizardry 7: Crusaders of the Dark Savant
    Wizardry 6: Bane of the Cosmic Forge
    Dominions 3: The Awakening
    Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs
    MirrorMoon EP
    Door Kickers

(in release order)... then I though... just wow, did I miss something? it's about 1 game per 2 days! I am a long running linux user (once favorite distro: Mandrake Linux) and so far I can remember we never talk about a new FREE game once for a month!

Well, I am sure that mostly of these games come from Greenlight 1st birthday celebration (top Greenlight 100 vg came instantly approved during this celebration), but still... August month show a release of 10 titles... and there wasn't any greenlight celebration! I guess together between Desura and Steam we're facing a new evolution in linux gaming where there will be not less thank a release of a commercial native linux game each week!

So I think there's space here for open a discussion about each new title released out there.

Why not free?

I guess there's plenty of thread dedicated to free games... also I guess that free and OSS (there are commercial OSS too) videogames are a long running companion in linux universe, but commercial ones (as massive releases) are a new thing which need a special attention... also, how many people around here are linux users to the bone and dream to become a videogames developer someday.
    Well, there's no need to split your dream: you could be both making a living developing videogames for linux!

Back IT:

0AD it's on indieGoGo (no profit, but still need money to be done).
    What if someday login in your facebook account you're required to accept yet-another-update license agreement saying you're a total idiot? Quit Facebook, join Diaspora*
    my webcomics ~ my diasp*

Beans
    Distro

Re: [Observatory] Daily/Weekly native commercial linux videogames

Ok, so what we have here?

Past week saw 2 new videogame release and a linux port on Steam:

Arma Tactics
    Air Conflicts: Pacific Carriers (released in 2012, ported to linux last week)
    Knock-knock

I am not that much in war games, so Knock-knock it's what looks more intresting to me: it's an Horror Game plus (++) a Indie one!

I am following linux games on Desura too... but I don't quite get if you can sort title by release date.

Anyway Void if darkness got a linux port last week
    What if someday login in your facebook account you're required to accept yet-another-update license agreement saying you're a total idiot? Quit Facebook, join Diaspora*
    my webcomics ~ my diasp*

Beans
    Distro

New linux game on Steam:

Salvation Prophecy
    Action, RPG, Simulation - Released: 7 Oct 2013

This game was already available natively for linux from May 2013 on desura

Strange thing I did notice is that this game is for Win/Linux only... no Mac release (yet). This is strange becouse one would expect more Win/Mac release rather Win/Linux (or at least, both Win/Mac/Linux)... and it's not the only one: also, in the past week Arma Tactics did follow the same path.

Maybe linux platform will be more common among game developers rather Mac's ones? SteamOS (based upon linux) seem will be a lot of influencer in this.

my webcomics ~ my diasp*

Beans
    Distro

my webcomics ~ my diasp*

Beans
    Distro

well... free game hunter memories is "available for linux" but looks like the developers have some plugin-problem with steam (which seems work only on windows), or something like that.

Here's the thread
    my webcomics ~ my diasp*

Beans

I snagged the Linux port of "World of Goo" on Steam yesterday for 99 cents, it was 90% off normal price for 24-hours only. It plays perfectly on my older Pentium 4 2.0 Ghz laptop.

If you don't know "World of Goo" it is a physics game where you solve puzzles using Goo balls.

Beans
    Distro

Yeah, got World of Goo with the first Humble Indie Bundle... nice game, but never played it actively. I know their developer made Little Inferno too, which is a quite nice game even if reviews weren't so much kindly with the latter (metacritic report 68/100) while World of Goo scored 90/100.

Teleglitch: Die More Edition is currently 75% off sale (it says 3,25€ to me, I don't know the USD price)... the graphics don't seems too much demanding, but the system requiments report +3.0Ghz CPU. Unlucky there's no demo available to test if play smooth on you 2.0Ghz laptop (unlikely) so may not be a good idea to buy it anyway.
    my webcomics ~ my diasp*

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by alexan View Post
    Yeah, got World of Goo with the first Humble Indie Bundle... nice game, but never played it actively. I know their developer made Little Inferno too, which is a quite nice game even if reviews weren't so much kindly with the latter (metacritic report 68/100) while World of Goo scored 90/100.

Teleglitch: Die More Edition is currently 75% off sale (it says 3,25€ to me, I don't know the USD price)... the graphics don't seems too much demanding, but the system requiments report +3.0Ghz CPU. Unlucky there's no demo available to test if play smooth on you 2.0Ghz laptop (unlikely) so may not be a good idea to buy it anyway.
    World of Goo is a fun time passer if you are into physics/puzzle games, sorta like Portal. I have seen Teleglitch, but undecided if I want to try it. It has a Linux port which is a plus. I guess the only thing preventing me from buying it is the screenshots look like confusing pixel art.

Good thread though, although you don't see many big companies developing commercial games for Linux, I hope Steam on Linux is a good start. I have tried bigger titles like Half-Life 2 and Dota 2 on Linux, but they don't seem as optimized as their Windows counterparts.

Beans
    Distro

Well, I read this thread with much interest. Downloaded Steam to my computer. Had a look at the Linux Games (100 games). There's only one that's free, (Haunted Memories) so thought I'd D/L that and try, before I start buying games. All I get is a message telling me "This game is not yet available for your platform." WTF I'm running Ubuntu12.04 LTS. What am I supposed to do then?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jockyburns View Post
    Well, I read this thread with much interest. Downloaded Steam to my computer. Had a look at the Linux Games (100 games). There's only one that's free, (Haunted Memories) so thought I'd D/L that and try, before I start buying games. All I get is a message telling me "This game is not yet available for your platform." WTF I'm running Ubuntu12.04 LTS. What am I supposed to do then?
    I just tried to install it on Debian and got the same message. It might be a problem with Steam on their end. The Linux support for that game is experimental. You can try going to their web site and downloading the package manually.

http://www.indiedb.com/games/haunt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast