Thread: how to share folders on a mounted drive

Beans

how to share folders on a mounted drive

I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 on a laptop. It has a "data" partition (NTFS - windows xp) that is auto mounted at start-up.

I want to share folders (eg "My Music") in this partition on my home network (windows). However it tells me I am not the owner.

I have found "data" at /media/data and the sub-folders are there. How can I share them on the network? Help please?

Beans

Re: how to share folders on a mounted drive

There isn't enough information in your post and what there is seems contradictory so I'm going to make some WAGs:

Open nautilus as root:
    Code:
    gksu nautilus
    And use the "Sharing Options" right click menu to share the folder.

If that doesn't resolve the issue then my guesses were wrong so I will need to know how you are automounting the ntfs partition. The output of the following command will tell me that:
    Code:
    cat /etc/fstab
    And just in case the "you are not the owner" error is coming from the client rather than when you try to create the share I will need the output of these commands:
    Code:
    testparm -s
    Code:
    net usershare info --long

Beans

gksu nautilus did the trick!

However for future info, can I direct the output of the other commands to a file?

(FYI I'm a long-time windows user with a windows network; however when my laptop got a virus I removed te virus - and windows with it!
    I've been running ubuntu on it since 10.10 and now at 12.04. I use it for music - running audacity, banshee, hydrogen, lilypond, etc etc.
    and when I upgrade I'll be staicking with UBUNTU!)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by john.errington View Post
    gksu nautilus did the trick!

However for future info, can I direct the output of the other commands to a file?
    Yes, example:
    Code:
    cat /etc/fstab > /home/john/Desktop/fstab.txt