Thread: Hardware Process

Beans

Hardware Process

Hi,

How does ubuntu recognise my pen drive as soon as I insert it. ? or any other H/W changes ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Hardware Process

Here's the "Absolute Beginners Section" explanation:

Inserting any USB device causes the USB controller to send a message to the driver running in the operating system, saying that there's a new device.
    The driver tells the Linux kernel, which then queries the USB device to determine what it is, and then loads an appropriate driver (in this case, it's USB Mass Storage - it's a built-in driver). The kernel also updates its internal table of what devices are connected to the system.

A small program running as part of Gnome periodically looks to see what devices are connected. When it sees that there's a new device that wasn't there before, it notices that this is a storage device and makes this information available to Unity. Unity will add an icon to the Launcher. When you click that icon, Unity mounts the device and opens a new Nautilus window for that device.

In reality there's a lot more to it than that, with certain responsibilities split between the kernel, the USB controller, udev and udisks; but that's a ballpark explanation.

For other hardware changes a similar process takes place. If you're talking about "installing a new PCI card" or something like that, then it's helpful to know that Linux doesn't assume that you'll be using the same hardware all the time. It scans for connected hardware whenever you boot up, in case you've changed something.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

Re: Hardware Process

Thanks, I got it.
    But somebody questioned me that what daemon is responsible for the same. I will be thankful to you if you can guide me some abt this.