Thread: LUKS ke***** # is invalid.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

LUKS ke***** # is invalid.

My system seemed to have crashed, when it rebooted I was unable to mount an encrypted drive I have. I have tried the password to no avail, and looking online trying to figure out the problem I found a few things.

kris@Desktop:~$ sudo cryptsetup -v isLuks /dev/sdf
    [sudo] password for kris:
    LUKS ke***** 4 is invalid.
    LUKS ke***** 5 is invalid.
    Command failed with code 22: LUKS ke***** 5 is invalid.

kris@Desktop:~$ sudo blkid -p /dev/sdf
    /dev/sdf: UUID="9938889b-0d0e-4c07-87c9-ba0fce8bcfdf" VERSION="1" TYPE="crypto_LUKS" USAGE="crypto" PTTYPE="dos"

From what I read (in older threads elsewhere) only 0 or 1 should really be used, so I am not sure why I can't load the drive and ignore the problems with the other ke*****s. Though I guess it might have changed. I was hoping someone here might be able to help point me in a direction that will allow me to recover the data.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: LUKS ke***** # is invalid.

Quote Originally Posted by PhillyKingston View Post
    My system seemed to have crashed, when it rebooted I was unable to mount an encrypted drive I have. I have tried the password to no avail, and looking online trying to figure out the problem I found a few things.

kris@Desktop:~$ sudo cryptsetup -v isLuks /dev/sdf
    [sudo] password for kris:
    Command failed with code 22: LUKS ke***** 5 is invalid.

kris@Desktop:~$ sudo blkid -p /dev/sdf
    /dev/sdf: UUID="9938889b-0d0e-4c07-87c9-ba0fce8bcfdf" VERSION="1" TYPE="crypto_LUKS" USAGE="crypto" PTTYPE="dos"

From what I read (in older threads elsewhere) only 0 or 1 should really be used, so I am not sure why I can't load the drive and ignore the problems with the other ke*****s. Though I guess it might have changed. I was hoping someone here might be able to help point me in a direction that will allow me to recover the data.
    See if
    http://code.google.com/p/cryptsetup/...roubleshooting
    helps

Beans

Can you find the disk in /dev/disk/by-uuid ?

I mount mine like this:

cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/disk/by-uuid/YOUR-UUID-STRING mydisk
    (prompts for password to decrypt)
    mount /dev/mapper/mydisk /mymountpoint

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sandyd View Post
    It was the first place I looked. They refer me to the "Backup and Data Recovery" section. Which tells me how to back up the header, which I can't do because of the error. I am working on getting a new HDD to backup the entire partition. It talks about recovering a mapped partition, which I can't because the system rebooted.And by then I am pretty much out of recovery options. Unless I missed something.

Quote Originally Posted by BluegrassHero View Post
    Can you find the disk in /dev/disk/by-uuid ?

I mount mine like this:

cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/disk/by-uuid/YOUR-UUID-STRING mydisk
    (prompts for password to decrypt)
    mount /dev/mapper/mydisk /mymountpoint
    When I tried that I get the following:

kris@Desktop:~$ sudo cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/disk/by-uuid/9938889b-0d0e-4c07-87c9-ba0fce8bcfdf mydisk

Basically I can't seem to proceed with those slots in this state. I am not sure if there is anything I can do to ignore the state of those slots that might allow me to proceed.

Beans
    Distro

HDD arrive, so I backed up with dd_resuce to be safe to the new drive.

Most of what I read recommended using the newest version of cryptsetup (at this time it was 1.6.1) which is not included with Ubuntu. I wasn't able to compile the code when I downloaded it from the site so I got a copy of the Fedora 19 Live and booted the system.

I ran "cryptsetup repair" on the disk directly. It fixed the invalid ke*****s and I was able to enter the passphrase on the drive. I am in the process of copying off the data now as I suspect the drive is failing which lead to the issue in the first place. I hope this helps some folks.

As an aside, I wasn't sure what the passphrase was initially (having used a different one on drives as I added them, but you can see all your encrypted HDD passphrases in the "Passwords & Keys".