Thread: System76 Ratel Desktop need system76 driver?

Beans

System76 Ratel Desktop need system76 driver?

I had to reinstall ubuntu 13.04 image on my new System76 Ratel desktop. I've done that. I read here: http://knowledge76.com/index.php/Restoring_Your_System that to compete the isntalltion I need to install the System76 Driver (I show how below). I do a little digging on whether I *reallly* need to do this for the Ratel desktop and I've come to the conclusion that this box doesn't need it. Obviously Im not 100% confident about this conclusion so I'm phoning a friend (so to speak) to sanity check this decision. Any one know? Note I'm a little weary of installing software that isn't absolutely essential. Thanks for any input.

sudo apt-add-repository ppa:system76-dev/stable
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install system76-driver

Beans

Re: System76 Ratel Desktop need system76 driver?

I have the same question for a PanP6 (for 13.04 and 13.10).

For your Ratel, the following page
    http://knowledge76.com/index.php/RatP1
    does not have an entry for 13.04. Perhaps that means it's not required (and everything was merged into the kernel used by 13.04?). Just a guess though
    Last edited by rocky-oceans; October 12th, 2013 at 07:54 PM. Reason: OP is interested in 13.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: System76 Ratel Desktop need system76 driver?

You should always have it installed, as it allows us to fix unforeseen future regressions and bugs. But no, it's not strictly necessary.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!