Thread: Make a Login Server (Like Windows Server 2008)

Beans

Question Make a Login Server (Like Windows Server 2008)

Hi i was wandering how do i make a server I could login to using a different computer with a GUI interface!

Please HELP!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Make a Login Server (Like Windows Server 2008)

What would you do with the GUI of the Server? I can't of any setting you can change from that GUI that you can't change on the command line, unless you are going to write long documents and reports using the server.

Anyway, have you tried using your ubuntu desktop to navigate the file system of the server?
    You can use nautilus/file manager to browse the file heirarchy of the server. It may almost feel like you are browsing a local directory.
    In the location bar of the file manager, type sftp://username@IPaddress:/home/username
    Enter your password and you're good to go. Be sure that the ssh service on the server is running and you can ssh to it in the terminal.
    "I learned a lot from repeatedly breaking my system and then reinstalling. Oh, and a lot of GOOGLE searches too!"
    The best Ubuntu derivative: Linux Mint
    Relax. Head to the Community Cafe
    The Philippine Team

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Another option is Samba for file sharing, but it's a bit more.. complicated to set up than ssh/sftp.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

I'm not exactly sure what you're talking about.

Do you mean something like remote desktop, where you get a desktop on a remote server? If so, then you might try https://wiki.ubuntu.com/xdmcp

Or do you mean a central login server like a Windows domain controller? If that's the case, then you might try https://help.ubuntu.com/12.04/server...ntication.html

If you're talking about getting a remote desktop type of session, then strictly speaking nerdtron is right. That said, the Windows/Mac people at my office can't seem to figure it out. You would want to use something like this:

ssh -X 192.168.1.100
    <password>
    Xnest :1 -geometry 1920x1050 -query localhost

Beans

Thanks for all your help