Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 9.04 addressing problem with cp command in terminal

Beans

Ubuntu 9.04 addressing problem with cp command in terminal

I have to copy a file from the $home/henk/... directory to another directory . I tried to copy the file using the GNOME environment with copy/paste, it says 'permission denied' . So I try to copy it using the cp command in a terminal : This copy command always gives me the error that the $home/henk/... file does not exist . I tried it with 'henk/...', '/henk/...', 'home/henk/...', '/home/henk/...', '$home/henk/...' and '/$home/henk/...', and it always gives that same error : Which mistake do I make in addressing the source of the /home/henk/... file ?
    Last edited by Hankbonk; October 1st, 2013 at 03:30 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Ubuntu 9.04 addressing problem with cp command in terminal

Are you using "sudo" before your copy command?

Also does using...

Code:
    ~/
    in the place of...

Code:
    /home/henk/
    work?

Alternatively you could launch your file manager from terminal using "sudo nautilus" or what ever file manager was used on 9.04. Then you would be able to move files in the system directories in the GUI, AS WELL AS TRASH YOUR SYSTEM, so be careful.
    Last edited by Petro Dawg; September 29th, 2013 at 07:31 PM.
    Who's Awesome? You're Awesome.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Hankbonk View Post
    I have to copy a file from the $home/henk/... directory to another directory . I tried to copy the file using the GNOME environment with copy/paste, it says 'permission denied' . So I try to copy it using the cp command in a terminal : This copy command always gives me the error that the $home/henk/... file does not exist . I tried it with 'henk/...', '/henk/...', 'home/henk/...', '/home/henk/...', '$home/henk/...' and '/$home/henk/...', and it always gives that same error : Which mistake do I make in addressing the source of the /home/henk/... file ?
    fyi - ubuntu 9.04 has reached end of life - I reccomend you upgrade to a LTS Release such as Ubuntu 12.04

Releases that have reached end of life will not receive software or security updates.

An upgrade is not always the best option - sometimes a new installation may be better.

Make sure backups are done before upgrading/reinstalling
    Last edited by sandyd; September 29th, 2013 at 07:25 PM.
    Ubuntu Forums Moderation Staff
    Okay then. We're relying on mirror dust and fairies but now we have a plan which is progress - Emma

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

When you see 'permission denied' than you have no rights to change something. To which directory you want to move it.
    Normally it is:
    Code:
    cp /home/henk/... /path/to/other/directory
    Between the 2 file/directory's you need a space.
    with rootrights:
    Code:
    sudo cp /home/henk/... /path/to/other/directory

But why you use 9.04. That is no more supported. Download 12.04 and have a new install. Don't forget: Backup al your files and bookmarks, etc....
    Last edited by heir4c; September 29th, 2013 at 10:27 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

The $HOME variable defaults to /home/user, not /home

Beans

Nope Petro, the cp command still doesn't find the libflashplayer.so ...

Beans

Dear oldos2er,

I tried that allready before I posted the thread . The error is always :

cp cannot stat '/home/henk/.../libflashplayer.so' : No such file or directory

I really have tried every possible combination that could come to my mind ...

Beans

Let's see exactly what the path is - either
    Code:
    find ~/ -name 'libflashplayer.*'
    or
    Code:
    locate libflashplayer

Beans

Dear heir4c,

I only get the Permission denied error when I try to copy/paste the file in the GUI, That's why I'm trying to use the cp command !
    In my original post all these things I mentioned allready, please read it fully, thank you

When I use the cp command, I get :

cp cannot stat '/home/henk/.../libflashplayer.so' : No such file or directory

Thanks for your quick reply . Uploading the 12.04 LTS is something I would like to do, but I share this PC with a network engineer : He works and prepairs the system for future Linux programming, then He will teach me fully . I only work on it during evenings/nights .

Beans
    Hidden!

I think what heir4c was trying to point out is that usually if you get a "permission denied" error in the GUI, you will not be able to simply use the "cp" command in terminal without running as super user. Doing things in terminal does not automatically grant you more privileges. You still have not answered the question... are you using "sudo" before using the "cp" command?
    Who's Awesome? You're Awesome.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast