Thread: Question regarding unity's terminal launcher

Beans

Question regarding unity's terminal launcher

I have been trying to figure out how to modify the gnome-terminal.desktop file so the default action will open a new terminal window rather than an existing window. How do I do that?

Thanks,

X

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Question regarding unity's terminal launcher

By far an easier approach is to use Ctrl+Alt+t for every instance you want.
    In working with *nix...There be dragons. Newcomers: I recommend reading Linux is Not Windows (http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm) and The Linux Command Line (http://www.linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php) before beginning your quest for a better OS.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Question regarding unity's terminal launcher

Quote Originally Posted by xeddog View Post
    I have been trying to figure out how to modify the gnome-terminal.desktop file so the default action will open a new terminal window rather than an existing window. How do I do that?
    You can't modify that. With a left-click, Unity switches to the currently-running instance. Nothing to do with the .desktop file.

Instead, just middle-click the icon and a new instance will open. Same applies for any running application, and you'll also find this works on Windows 7.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.