Thread: Ubuntu on Nexus 7

Beans

Ubuntu on Nexus 7

I followed the directions to unlock the nexus and install ubuntu 13.04.
    Most of time on start up the key board letters are missing................fix?
    Also try to run any programs system locks up.........................fix?

I did the conversion, because I read someplace that with ubuntu installed, I could get an adapter cable and then be able to use a USB
    keyboard for typing and download onto a USB stick.

So far the keyboard works kinda but not all the time, the track pad does not work at all, and with Ubuntu installed can't use touch screen to move the cursor.

So is there a fix to use the keyboard all the time and the track pad and the two above items.

I want the UBUNTU on it, so all files and documents are fully compatible with my home system.
    Last edited by choochoousmc; September 29th, 2013 at 05:13 PM.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu on Nexus 7

Hi there! I just installed 13.04 on my Nexus 7 as well. I'm not sure you'll be satisfied with it as a usable product. But the Nexus 7 Launchpad page is still active with new bugs and fixes.

Ultimately, if you want to keep Ubuntu on your Nexus, you're going to need a Bluetooth keyboard/mouse combo to use it effectively. The touch input stops dead in its tracks after a few fast taps. And yeah, the jaggedy letters on the virtual keyboard are no fun, but hopefully if you get/use a physical keyboard, that won't be an issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Ubuntu on Nexus 7

Quote Originally Posted by choochoousmc View Post
    I did the conversion, because I read someplace that with ubuntu installed, I could get an adapter cable and then be able to use a USB
    keyboard for typing and download onto a USB stick.
    I know you said later that you want Ubuntu on the Nexus 7 for other reasons too, but you don't need Ubuntu for using USB devices. The Nexus 7 supports USB On The Go. Android 4 can recognize USB keyboards and USB sticks, and with an extra app you can use memory card readers too.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.