Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't log in to the GNOME flashback/fallback (no effects) session

Beans

Can't log in to the GNOME flashback/fallback (no effects) session

I'm testing the Ubuntu Saucy Final Beta and I'm having trouble logging into the flashback/fallback session.

I'm beginning with a fresh install of Ubuntu Saucy Final Beta. The default Unity DE is truly unusable on this hardware:

Intel Atom CPU 230 @ 1.60GHz
    Intel 82945G/GZ Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
    Intel N10/ICH 7 Family High Definition Audio Controller (rev 01)
    Realtek RTL8101E/RTL8102E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 02)
    2GB DDR2 RAM

So I decided to give fallback (now named flashback) a try. I first noticed that just installing 'gnome-panel' fails to draw in 'gnome-session-fallback' but I tried it anyway. Sadly I could not login to the "flashback (no effects)" session after just logging out and trying to log back in

So I tried another fresh install (needed to do that anyway to follow up on an unrelated bug), the default Unity DE is still unusable other than opening a terminal with CTRL+ALT+F1, so this time I tried installing 'gnome-session-fallback' which was better.

I could then logout and log back into the "flashback (no effects)" session so I tried some of the tweaks I've used in Quantal and Raring:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...4#post12417104

About a 90% success rate BTW, but after a full restart I once again can't login to the "flashback (no effects)" session - it just drops back to the login screen

Anyone know what might be up?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Can't log in to the GNOME flashback/fallback (no effects) session

all I can say it that, due to another problem I have been working on, I have been logging on and off of all 3 options (Ubuntu (default), GNOME Flashback, GNOME Flashback (No Effects)), all day without any issues.
    Any follow-up information on your issue would be appreciated. Please have the courtesy to report back.

Beans
    Distro

Installing gnome-panel here in a fresh install of Ubuntu Gnome brought in gnome-session-flashback as a dependency, as expected. Everything working just fine.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Doug S View Post
    all I can say it that, due to another problem I have been working on, I have been logging on and off of all 3 options (Ubuntu (default), GNOME Flashback, GNOME Flashback (No Effects)), all day without any issues.
    When did you install Ubuntu Saucy, or was it a different flavor of Ubuntu?

It does work for me (poorly) if I start with Ubuntu GNOME.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sgage View Post
    Installing gnome-panel here in a fresh install of Ubuntu Gnome brought in gnome-session-flashback as a dependency, as expected. Everything working just fine.
    Login works OK for me using Ubuntu GNOME but clicking on any menu item leaves the screen littered with that menu until I logout, so I'd hardly call it "just fine"

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    When did you install Ubuntu Saucy, or was it a different flavor of Ubuntu?
    I created the 64 bit 13.10 VM awhile ago. I added GNOME to it sometime later. And have been keeping it up to date once a day.
    Any follow-up information on your issue would be appreciated. Please have the courtesy to report back.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Doug S View Post
    I created the 64 bit 13.10 VM awhile ago. I added GNOME to it sometime later. And have been keeping it up to date once a day.
    Aha! What could possibly be different

I'm trying to test what happens with a freshly installed image and trying to install a "fallback session" using Metacity.

BTW, I'm curious about what you mean by saying, "I added GNOME"????

What did you actually add, and how?

Beans

gnome-session-flashback is a recommend of gnome-panel so should be installed along with gnome-panel unless you're using some method that doesn't install recommends
    (if one wants gnome-session-flashback then just install gnome-session-flashback

As far as video glitches, is that both before & after your 'tweaks' or just after?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    gnome-session-flashback is a recommend of gnome-panel so should be installed along with gnome-panel unless you're using some method that doesn't install recommends
    (if one wants gnome-session-flashback then just install gnome-session-flashback

As far as video glitches, is that both before & after your 'tweaks' or just after?
    Since I've not been able to get Ubuntu Saucy Final Beta to run at all acceptably on this hardware I've just been using the terminal via Ctrl+Alt+F1, and then using the tty to install fallback/flashback.

I'm basically going to wait until the beginning of RC week, Oct 10, and see what happens.

One thing I want to stress here is that I'm starting from freshly installed images. just as most users would!

I want to stress that we're not Tweak-buntu!!!!!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    BTW, I'm curious about what you mean by saying, "I added GNOME"???? What did you actually add, and how?
    Please forgive me, I am actually an Ubuntu server guy, and only created desktop VM's for the first time a couple of weeks ago. I hardly know what a "GNOME" or a "Unity" is and know almost nothing about the GUI desktop environment.
    I'm guessing that I meant to say "I installed GNOME flashback or falllback or whatever" (I didn't know GNOME and GNOME flashback seem to be a bit different). This is the command I used:
    Code:
    doug@doug-desktop:~/docs-1310/ss/html$ grep "apt-get install" ~/.bash_history
    sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback
    Edit: Now I "added" GNOME via guessing that I needed to "sudo apt-get install gnome". Now my environment options during logon are: GNOME; GNOME Classic; GNOME Flashback; GNOME Flashback (No effects); Ubuntu (Default)
    So far, I seem to be able to log off and on into any of the 5 Desktop environments at will.
    Last edited by Doug S; September 30th, 2013 at 10:44 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast