Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: installation woes

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: installation woes

jgw;

Hey .. I can understand you are aggravated and exasperated. This should not be a hurdle to high to overcome; To at least get a usable operating system. Apparently it is but a graphics driver issue. Admittedly there may not be a good solution with SIS graphics but there may be a usable solution.
    What other options have you tried ?

surely, it can be made to happen
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubutu'n !

Beans

Thanks for sticking with me on this one.

One last try. I will put in an msi v161 ver 5.2 ati radeon 4350 1gb pci express video card. Hopefully ubuntu can deal with it. I tried it once but it threw a bunch of stuff onto the screen so I put that thought away. This is a new card, out of the box, which I was saving for another project. Anyway, I will assume I can get to the cd welcome screen. Any commands you think might be helpful I can try.

Beans
    Distro

jgw; Welp ..

That is good you want to keep trying ...and yeah the ATI card is a better option .. but , but, but - and I saw a tid bit where this MAY no longer be true -
    IF its an HD 2x/3x/4x then you are out of luck as AMD announced <last> summer that it is relegating these chipsets to legacy status and will not be developing new drivers for them. Existing restricted drivers from AMD won't work either, because they require X-server v1.12 and Ubuntu 12.10 uses X-server v1.13.
    That's because, starting with Ubuntu 12.04.2, the X-server version was updated to a newer version that is now incompatible with the HD 2x/3x/4x series AMD cards.
    (Mark Phelps)
    So what that boils down to is you have to use ubuntu's open source driver.
    Now I fall into that category also - old ATI card - and open source drivers do well for me on an AMD platform.

That said, you should have to do nothing; install the card, fire up ubuntu and the kernel should pick up that card and match it to the monitor. And be real happy with loading the open source driver.

Older hardware still no matter what course you take, is not going to yield high performance.

won't take much to try

Happy ubutu'n !

Beans

LIttle problem. The card won't even allow me to get to the bios. It just throws red junk on the screen. I have tried it several times. I will give up on that card. I have a pile of video cards but they are all agp (different iterations) which the motherboard doesn't allow. I am going to think on this one some.

Thanks for all the help..........................

Beans
    Distro

jgw, Well.

Some times you have some bios setting to adjust for the bios to see the pci card, and also
    If the card is ATI or Nvidia, the " nomodeset" boot option may help.
    Too bad the ram can not be expanded .. that might help a bunch too.

when all else fails, there is "puppy linux", BTDT

Happy ubutu'n !

Beans

I just rebooted, with the built in sis, after a bit I got a sheet that told me it was running in low res mode and asked me if I wanted to continue. There was no mouse and the keyboard seemed to do nothing. I played with the mouse, with no cursor, and then said ok. Then another box appeared that said that I should standby whilst the display re-started. There is an ok on that too but I have played with the mouse and nothing. I assume it will eventually do something although I also suspect that its now stuck as its been on that box for about 10 minutes. My problem with the cards is that most of those I have are agp and the motherboard doesn't have a slot for those. Seems I only have 2 pc cards and they are both sis (as is the motherboard display).

Anyway, that's how it stand right now.

Beans
    Distro

jgw; Humm, let's think bios settings.
    What bios and version did the manufacturer install. I'll see what I can find out about it.
    I will also take a look-about and see what else I might come up with for alternate boot options for the onboard graphics controller.

It could happen

Happy ubutu'n !

Beans

The bios. American Megatrends v 2.57 I also reset the share memory from 32mb to 128mb (assuming this is for built in video - might help?)

Beans
    Distro

jgw; Hi !

Got your last. Let me have a bit of time for research. I will return if/when I have something constructive to offer .. or I give up.

inquiring minds want to know

Happy ubutu'n !

Beans
    Distro

jgw; Hi !

Try this, in bios - "bios features setup " - disable all shadow ram features, ubuntu kernel does a better job;
    in bios - "chipset features setup" disable the memory hole, again the kernel handles better.

And then try this boot parameter.

you need to add 2 options to the grub config.
    You need to add s3fb.mode_option=1024x768-16 to set the resolution, but this wont work if the gfx card is not initialized from the VGA BIOS, so you also need to add vga=791 or similar.
    So edit /etc/default/grub with this line:
    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="vga=791 s3fb.mode_option=1024x768-16"
    Then do sudo update-grub and reboot.
    And Hey, I am still looking.

gotta be a way

Happy ubutu'n !

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast