Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need to upgrade but it keeps failing, free/cheap disk of newest version available?

Beans

Re: Need to upgrade but it keeps failing, free/cheap disk of newest version available

I don't have any USB sticks, they are too tiny and we loose them easily....

Is it possible to split the iso onto two cds?
    What are the flavors? I just use regular ol' ubuntu and prefer to just stick with that...
    I'll check out the other links, though.

It's 4-6yrs old, not 100% sure...
    Is there a way to get the pc to tell me what is on here like WIndows is able to do?
    I can only list what is visible on my laptop's case...lol. intel centrino duo, gatewaycx210x. I went with upgraded options when buying the laptop, no idea how to find out what it is now, as I've forgotten...

Downloading Lubuntu.

Beans

Re: Need to upgrade but it keeps failing, free/cheap disk of newest version available

OK, found something....Just copying and pasting...
    Don't know if it helps any
    Mobile 945GM/PM/GMS, 943/940GML and 945GT Express Memory Controller Hub
    Gateway 2000
    Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller

2 GB ram, 1.86 GHZ, 500GB harddrive

Beans

Also, this is a touchscreen convertible tablet with a pen. Is it possible to get these things working again in linux??

Thanks all!

Beans
    Hidden!

Lubuntu is the most light-weight flavour in the Ubuntu family. Xubuntu is medium light. Standard Ubuntu with Unity and Kubuntu are heavy but they have a lot of eye-candy.

Make the download of Lubuntu complete! It will be a good choice even if you can probably run a heavier desktop environment in a 4-6 year old computer. And if you wish, you can install xubuntu-desktop into the installed Lubuntu and select desktop environment at the login screen.

Check the md5sum before burning the CD.

Do not start by installing. Instead try Lubuntu (run a live session booted from the CD) to find out how it works, and what you may need to do in order to get a good graphical desktop. This depends very much on your graphics chip. The wifi chip might also cause problems, and it is a great advantage to use a wired connection to the internet during the installation to be able to update the system.

Beans

So I restarted and tried to start it to try it out and the screen goes black with an underscore blinking at the top left corner. Nothing else happens...

Beans
    Hidden!

I think it is problems with the driver for your graphics chip. It could be something else too, I have too little information to know.

- Are you talking about the situation, when you boot from the CD? Or after installation?

- Do you get anything at all on the screen before it goes black? Any text or weird pattern?

If you get a menu (the syslinux menu or the grub menu), you can enter a boot option. There are several, start trying with nomodeset. See this link

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/BootOptions

Beans

I put the cd in and a screen comes up with a list, try it out, test cd for issues, install. I click to try it out first and it goes black and the underscore shows up. That's all. Nothing weird flashes or anything.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

secuono; Hi !

Just as an educated guess .. let's say the needed graphic's driver is not available at this time.
    Let's try and load a lower level driver.
    Try this and advise results:

Boot the liveCD;
    At the purple splash screen (stick figure keyboard emblems at bottom of screen) -> hit any key ->
    Language screen -> escape key to accept the default ->
    Booting options screen -> f6 key (other options) -> arrow down to the preset option(s), in this instance try "nomodeset" -space or enter to accept and then the escape key to exit.
    Enter key to continue the boot process to the GUI desk top;

Do you now boot to the desk top ? ,,,degraded graphics is OK at this point, can be fixed later.

just try'n to help
    THE current(cy) in Documentation:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubuntu'n !

Beans

Never seen a purple screen.
    When I restart, it shows a list of languages with English already highlighted, I just click enter and it continues.
    Don't think I've ever seen any stick figure keyboard emblems.
    But I'll try pressing F6 when it gets to the choices list.

Beans

Alright, that worked. It's very blue, nothing too fancy or weird. Graphics didn't look to of been affected.
    I couldn't figure out how to get it to do wireless internet. What I have now found it on it's own and I just put in the right info. There was no wireless choice, just weird cellphone provider, ethernet and the such.
    SO!
    How do I get the internet to work and how do I get the installation to go smoothly, now that I know it has to be in nomodeset??

thanks!!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast