Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ubuntu Software Center wiped out system, can't boot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: ubuntu Software Center wiped out system, can't boot.

This was published last May HERE
    Ubuntu announced its 10.04 (Lucid Lynx) release almost 3 years ago,
    on April 29, 2010. As with the earlier LTS releases, Ubuntu committed
    to ongoing security and critical fixes for a period of 3 years on the
    desktop. The support period is now nearing its end and Ubuntu 10.04
    Desktop will reach end of life on Thursday, May 9th. At that time,
    Ubuntu Security Notices will no longer include information or updated
    packages for Ubuntu 10.04 Desktop. Ubuntu 10.04 Server continues to
    be supported for another 2 years.
    Prudence dictates having an install with appropriate security updates
    MB: Asrock Extreme4-M CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 16.00 GB. GC On CPU HD4000 Platform: x86_64 Distribution:Ubuntu 14.04TrustyTahr with Cinnamon DE Boot: EFI File System:EXT4

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by SuperFreak View Post
    This was published last May HERE

Prudence dictates having an install with appropriate security updates
    And observation shows that I am getting them, even after May 9th. I do not know if they actually dropped anything. After all, what is a server, and what is a desktop? I can install ubuntu-desktop on a server install...

The point is that the repositories are still up (unlike 10.10) and I can still receive updates and install new software.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The desktop related packages (dependencies of the ubuntu-desktop metapackage) won't receive any more updates. These include things like gksudo and policykit, where you really don't want a security bug.

I'd definitely recommend being on 12.04 at the earliest. 13.04 (or 13.10 later this month) would be your best bet.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    The desktop related packages (dependencies of the ubuntu-desktop metapackage) won't receive any more updates. These include things like gksudo and policykit, where you really don't want a security bug.
    Good catch. However, I went and looked and the latest version of gksu was quite a while before support ended. There is a later version for Precise and one, but it is also Gnome 3 while Lucid is Gnome 2... So it could be that there is no more recient version that works on Gnome 2. Not worried enough to check. I am slowly migrating the last of my 10.04 systems to 12.04, so it will be a non-issue soon enough.

But you are correct in that some things are no longer being patched. And I still can't figure out how they decided what was "server" and what was not. It seems somewhat random.

Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    I'd definitely recommend being on 12.04 at the earliest. 13.04 (or 13.10 later this month) would be your best bet.
    I think we can agree that we will never agree on the merits of LTS vs current. But I do recommend 12.04 over 10.04 as soon as convenient. But I do not consider that upgrade critical yet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The server question is simple. Ubuntu Server is a standard Ubuntu image minus the ubuntu-desktop bits. Ubuntu desktop is the Ubuntu Server image plus ubuntu-desktop.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Actually, ubuntu-server defaults to a different kernel in some versions. And there are some GUI tools that are still being updated... Tools which depend on gnome. It would have thought they would have dumped everything gtk, but they did not.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by GeneSalamin View Post
    I noticed that TeamViewer is not listed in Ubuntu Software Center. It's risky to install software from an untrustworthy source. It corrupted your system.
    Teamviewer is actually a really good service. I use it because I am too lazy to walk upstairs and downstairs between computers.
    I dislike them, however, as they dropped the ability to allow unattended access in version 8, which means the primary reason for me using it has been removed on Linux.
    Backups are amazing. 99% of data loss can be prevented by spending less than $100 on an external drive.
    If you have seen an error, there is a good chance someone else has, too. Google is your friend.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12