Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ubuntu Software Center wiped out system, can't boot.

Beans

ubuntu Software Center wiped out system, can't boot.

Just got a new system 76 desktop with ubuntu 13.04. I had tried to install Teamviewer on it but the install failed. I then went into Software Center which informed me that I could not do anything till the failed package stuff was resolved and asked if I wanted to resolve it now. I said yes. The next thing I know all the software was removed from the system.

I then tried rebooting and now the machine will not boot. It just churns away on the splash screen where U B U N T U letters flash in sequence. So I'm screwed. To make matters worse the box doesn't have a cd drive -- I got this machine for my mother and was just setting up a simple system for browsing the internet and reading email.

So what can I do? Install from flash drive via USB? If so, how to get an install image on a flash drive? How to get the machine to boot from a flash drive?
    Last edited by rpjohns; September 30th, 2013 at 01:51 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: ubuntu Software Center wiped out system, can't boot.

This link may get you started
    http://www.ubuntu.com/download/deskt...tick-on-ubuntu
    You will have to do this on a separate machine from the affected 76 PC.
    Once you have made your USB up go into the BIOS on the 76 machine and change BIOS Boot order so USB is the first item to boot. Then start up the 76 PC with the USB stick and follow the instructions for install

see next post for making ISO in Windows

Pressing F2 when you start the machine but before Ubuntu starts may get you to BIOS screen
    Last edited by SuperFreak; September 28th, 2013 at 09:07 PM.
    MB: Asrock Extreme4-M CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 16.00 GB. GC On CPU HD4000 Platform: x86_64 Distribution:Ubuntu 14.04TrustyTahr with Cinnamon DE Boot: EFI File System:EXT4

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Sorry the instructions I gave are for making USB Iso in Ubuntu. Here are the directions for a Windows machine
    http://www.ubuntu.com/download/deskt...ick-on-windows
    MB: Asrock Extreme4-M CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @ 3.50GHz Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 16.00 GB. GC On CPU HD4000 Platform: x86_64 Distribution:Ubuntu 14.04TrustyTahr with Cinnamon DE Boot: EFI File System:EXT4

Beans

Thanks for the reply. I have a laptop running ubuntu 12.04 and I am currently downloading the iso for ubuntu 13.04. I am sorley tempted to download the iso for 12.04 and use that but I've already started the 13.04 download. At any rate, on the system 76 box I get into the bios and there doesn't seem to be a way to specify the boot order. I just have choices like 'fast boot' with a few sub choices, one of which is usb, but all I can change about the usb is whether it 'partial' or 'full' or 'never' wrt to the POST. I assume that means booting? So I was going to change it to 'full' which seems to indicate that the usbs are available all the time during startup as opposed to only after the OS boots. I'm guessing here.

The other question I have is which usb port to use? There are usb 3.0 and 2.0 and about 4 of each. I guess I'll try 3.0 first since it's presumably faster. Not sure if a specific usb port would be designated as the one to read during boot sequence. I'm hoping that whichever is holding the flash drive is the one it will read.

Thanks again. The iso download is taking some time and the download feedback says about an hour. I have a 10.04 iso handy already I used in a VM. Could that work? I'm worried about it having the drivers needed for the 'very' new hardware.

Thanks again, I really appreciate the help here. I'm obviously got a lot to learn.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I have USB 3 ports on my computer as well as USB 2 but I know with my PC the computer will not boot to USB 3 ports only 2. I don't own a system 76 computer though so yours may differ.
    Ubuntu 10.04 is no longer supported and will not receive any updates so I recommend against that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

This may help you set the boot order
    http://knowledge76.com/index.php/Restoring_Your_System

Beans

Ok Solved this thing with help from super freak -- thanks!

So by 'Solved' I mean I got myself into a fix and got out of it, but there still seems like a bug somewhere.

Heres's how it happended:

- I bought a system76 ratel desktop with ubuntu 13.04. (nice machine and a solid outfit)
    - I wanted to install TeamViewer, the installation failed due to some missing 32 bit libs.
    - I now have a failed package lodged in the works
    - I go into the Software Center and the app tells me I have an unresolved install and I will need to resolve before I can install|remove any software and asks 'resolve now?'
    ==> this is the place I should have done a little research before leaping....but, I just wanted to get down the road and got careless/lazy and said yes, just wanting the problem to go away.
    - Software Center apparently resolved it by undoing the teamviewer install wreckage, but also aggressively (and savagely) removed the ubuntu13.04 installation. Nice.
    - Everything disappears and I'm praying a reboot will restore everything some how.... but, it would not boot.
    - after wallowing in disbelief and a brief stint of victimhood, I decide to fix it.
    - I go to my ubuntu 12.04 laptop and down load the iso for ubuntu 13.04, and use the 'create startup disk' tool to create an install image on a usb flash drive.
    - now, to get the system76 box to look in the flash drive for the boot image I need to change bios
    - I put the flash drive in a usb 2.0 in the back of ratel and reststart and hit F2 to get into BIOS
    - In the BIOS utilty program I navigate to the 'Boot' tab. After some head scratching and a fair bit of trial and error I learn that I have to change 'fast boot' to 'normal boot' which reveals a choice where you can choose the usb for first attention in the boot sequence. It's not obvious -- from memory, it's the last choice on that menu and you'll change from the disk to the usb. Note too, the usb flash drive needs to be in.
    - then I save and exit from BIOS utility and the system76 sees the install image in the usb and I install ubuntu 13.04. Easy at this point.
    - I then rebooted, got back into the BIOS utility and changed the boot properties back to 'fast boot' and choosing the disk as frst boot device.

Happy ending, although, it sucks that the Software Center lured me down this pathologic path. My fault for not being smarter, but nonetheless, the ubuntu guys aught to look for a possible bug, or at least take the sharp edges off that baby. I'm used to Synaptic Package Manager I guess, but I got burned.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Good news

you can mark the thread as SOLVED by going to your first post>Edit>Advanced> change prefix from OTHER at title to SOLVED

Beans

I noticed that TeamViewer is not listed in Ubuntu Software Center. It's risky to install software from an untrustworthy source. It corrupted your system.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by SuperFreak View Post
    Ubuntu 10.04 is no longer supported and will not receive any updates so I recommend against that.
    This is incorrect. The "Desktop" distribution is not supported, but "Server" is. And since they use the same repositories, you will still get updates. I just updated a kernel to 2.6.32-52 right now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast