Thread: Sudo problem on new install of 12.04

Beans

Sudo problem on new install of 12.04

Hello everyone,

I just installed 12.04 on an external hard drive. I'm booting off a system with Windows XP on the internal hard drive. The installation appeared to go smoothly, and when I boot off the external drive Ubuntu shows up nice and shiny.

But, something is haywire with my password. The system logs me in without a problem when I use the password I thought I had assigned. However, I can't seem to do anything much in my HOME directory without prefixing with "sudo". For example, if I try to compile a C program, it will require me to prefix with my password. It doesn't have to be anything as fancy as compiling; if I just try to cp a file, I'm refsed permission until I prefix with "sudo".

Moreover, if I type "su" <cr> and type in the password, ubuntu tells me that the password can't be authenticated.

I've not had these problems in the past. Can someone point out the folly of my ways?

Thanks,
    Mark Allyn

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Sudo problem on new install of 12.04

Have you checked who is the owner of the files in your home directory and what are the permissions? Also for your home directory itself.

su will swith user to root, but you need a root password for that. sudo -i is equivalent.

Beans

Good morning, Imavidus,

Thanks for the tip. Yes, I checked the ownership following your advice. The files I had created (mkdir) in my home directory immediately following the install were owned by "root" not by user "mark". I changed ownership (chown) to "mark" and they now behave as they "should"--or as I expected they would, to put the thing more accurately.

I don't understand the behavior of the su command, however. Could you give further details?

Thanks,
    Mark Allyn

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Ubuntu doesn't have a root password by default, the root login geing disabled. It uses sudo instead, which is considered more secure. Therefore the command su doesn't work. To get a root shell, you can use sudo -i. Read https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RootSudo for more details.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

To build on the previous suggestion, if you absolutely, positively, must work as su--do this:
    Code:
    sudo su
    and you will magically become su, but my sig line doesn't lie!
    In working with *nix...There be dragons. Newcomers: I recommend reading Linux is Not Windows (http://linux.oneandoneis2.org/LNW.htm) and The Linux Command Line (http://www.linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php) before beginning your quest for a better OS.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Quote Originally Posted by whitesmith View Post
    Code:
    sudo su
    Please see the RootSudo link that impavidus posted to see why sudo -i is much to be preferred over sudo su or sudo -s if one "absolutely, positively, must" invoke a root shell.

But I agree with you about the absolutely, positively, must bit. Absolutely, positively, must is rare in my experience.

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans

Hello everyone,

It seems to me that I recall dimly that I was able to use su in changing to a different user. Some time ago I added a second user to my system ("Dave") and I think I could switch to Dave from Mark by doing something like su -s -u dave.

Does that make sense? Maybe my memory is just lousy.

Cheers,
    Mark

BTW, thanks to all of you for helping me out with this thread. I finally realized what had caused the problem. Namely, I had issued this command from my home directory:

sudo mkdir newdir

So, the permissions were messed up. I have no excuse for using sudo in this context.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I think it's:

Code:
    su user-name
    to run the commands as that user. However, running a graphical application under su always brings this up:

Code:
    Warning! Can not open display:
    Avatar credit: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/07/d...-spread-ubuntu
    Happy new year to all!

Beans

Hi Jonathan Precise,

Yes. You need to set the environmental DISPLAY=.0 variable and the user must have xauthority.

Mark