Thread: Best tuner for ATSC

Beans

Best tuner for ATSC

I have a dual tuner card which may be dying and am looking for a replacement. This is for US over the air ATSC high def television, so the key thing is that it pull in a good signal- something not all cards do, since it isn't needed for cable television. Two options I am considering are:

AVerMedia AVerTV Hybrid Volar Max (two of them)
    Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250

The first I have used before, and it seems to work well, but I don't like that it is external. I like the Hauppauge better for that reason, but a single tuner card from that company didn't pull in a good signal. Also, I am wondering if the heat from the video card is what killed my old tuner.

Any advice would be helpfull.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Best tuner for ATSC

If you can use PCI cards in your system, look into the KWorld 115 or ATI HDTV Wonder cards. I have used both with success with over the air ATSC streams.

http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/KWorld_ATSC_115
    http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.ph...MD_HDTV_Wonder

Both are not dual tuner cards but may serve your needs.

Here is a list of supported cards in Mythtv:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Digital_Tuner_Cards

Beans

Thanks for the reply. If I go the single tuner route, I will use the Avermedia volar USB since I am out of expansion slots. I've used it before, and it seems to pull in a good signal. I'd rather have something internal, but maybee I can drill a hole in an expansion slot plate, mount the tuner to the inside of it, and plug it into an internal usb header. This would work since my case is made to take a full sized motherboard, even though the one I'm using now isn't. Alternatively, I could get a new motherboard + CPU to have more slots. The one I'm using now is about five years old anyway.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by itlarson2 View Post
    I have a dual tuner card which may be dying and am looking for a replacement. This is for US over the air ATSC high def television, so the key thing is that it pull in a good signal- something not all cards do, since it isn't needed for cable television. Two options I am considering are:

AVerMedia AVerTV Hybrid Volar Max (two of them)
    Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250

The first I have used before, and it seems to work well, but I don't like that it is external. I like the Hauppauge better for that reason, but a single tuner card from that company didn't pull in a good signal. Also, I am wondering if the heat from the video card is what killed my old tuner.

Any advice would be helpfull.
    I have the HVR-2250 and am not happy with its performance (signal sensitivity). My 6 year old Samsung HD TV has much better performance. With heavy weather conditions (storms, snow) the HVR-2250 loses the weaker channels, but the TV has no problems.