Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Release Support Question

Beans

Re: Release Support Question

Thanks. I get it.

But what about Kubuntu, for example? Let's suppose I'm using the Kubuntu LTS release which is 12.04. Then KDE releases Plasma 4.10. Does that conflict with the older version of Ubuntu (since it's not 13.04) if the user updates Plasma? I guess my over all question, now, is with the LTS releases occuring every 8 years where does that leave the end user if the desktop, i.e. Plasma, updates more frequently?

Thanks again.

Beans

Finally, I have one more question related to this topic...

When the new version (13.10) is released, what does that mean for those of us using 13.04?

From what I gather our options are the following:
    1. Upgrade to 13.10
    2. Stay with 13.04

If I decide to stay with 13.04, what happens? Do I no loger receive updates until I switch to the latest version or the LTS version?

Thanks for clarifying. I really appreciate it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Check the link Howefield posted, 13.04 is supported until Jan. 2014.

Beans

Thanks for your reply, oldo2ser.

Yes, I did read that reply. But I what happens after January '14, if I am using 13.04? Will I no longer receive updates (unless I upgrade to the latest version as of Jan. '14, or the LTS version)?

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Right...you no longer will receive updates so best to upgrade to 13.10 which will get you 9 months more...Once 14.04 comes out, upgrade to that and then you can decide if you want to stay with that one (which will be an LTS with 5 yrs support...the LTS version comes out every 2 years)...

One can upgrade from 6 month version to the next (including the LTS ones)...Once you are in an LTS, you have several options...continue upgrading on a 6 month basis or stay with the LTS for as long as 5 years if you choose to or you can do like many do and just upgrade LTS to LTS every 2 years....those options can be set in your software sources in the section regarding upgrades...

When doing an upgrade (as opposed to clean installs) i think the best way to do it is from a live iso session installer which offers the option on the list...

Beans

Perfect! Thanks for your help everyone! Have a great weekend!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cessanfrancisco View Post
    Will I no longer receive updates (unless I upgrade to the latest version as of Jan. '14, or the LTS version)?
    Correct! I've had a few machines that I used past EOL. They still work, you just can't add packages from repos... and you don't get security updates.

<I must have taken a nap... >
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12