Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Answers needed for my project at university

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Answers needed for my project at university

In your field, LaTeX could be useful. It is available for all three PC operating systems, but I think Linux users push it harder than others.

For examples, Google this: latex site:fullcirclemagazine.org

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

As someone above posted, I chose Ubuntu mainly because of the huge online resource that is this forum.
    You have certainly got some good quality answers so far.

I also liked the Ubuntu philosophy and the human colour scheme. (8.04 was the first version that I tried)
    http://www.ubuntu.com/about/about-ubuntu/our-philosophy
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu_%28philosophy%29

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Good morning

One of the salient features of Ubuntu (together with other Linux distributions) is the ability to make a Live USB device with the capacity to store data and add software.

Have a quick look here:- https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LiveUsbPendrivePersistent

Beans

The quality of these answers has been excellent. I wasn't expecting the helpful commentary that I've been receiving, so thank you all so very much.

I would say there is very little to know about Ubuntu, it's most important functions are the same for windows and mac, you need to know how to install programs, how to open programs, and how to manage your open applications, but none of this is difficult from an explanatory point of view, and the people I speak to daily frequently struggle with these no matter which operating system, there are hundreds of millions of windows users who don't know how to multi-task for example, if they want to go from email to web, they quit the email app and open internet explorer, and then the same in reverse to go back.

I would argue that in 2013 the terminal is not an important function of the Ubuntu desktop for the average user or a business user, there is simply nothing a user should be doing in it.

For me the best and most important function of Ubuntu is that it lets me run the programs which I want to run (spotify, sublime text, chrome, VLC, Steam), and I find the Unity Launcher the easiest "dock" to multi task with.
    The ability to multitask better than in windows is what I find to be especially important to my field, thank you.

I think I would start with the basics about testing a Live CD and system/hardware compatibility. And the ease of installation, then applications like LibreOffice and Gimp. Also would make the point that Ubuntu is Linux and many things run on Linux from kitchen appliances to video streaming boxes like Roku, and ereaders like Kindle. Also Ubuntu is not just a desktop operating system it runs servers, phones, and likely will be a part of the upcoming Steam Machine for gaming. Also many other operating systems are based upon Ubuntu, such as Linux Mint.

Excellent comment, thank you. I have noticed that more and more programs and clients are supporting Linux, specifically Ubuntu.

The most important functions of an operating system (eg. Ubuntu but also Windows, OSX etc...) are these:

- Access to CPU. We need a system that sends instructions to the CPU - the central processing unit, the engine of the machine.
    - A file system structure and a protocol for accessing that structure.
    - The ability to interpret some files as CPU instructions that can read other files as data and to direct data to other files some of which may be video or sound devices
    - Support for a user interface, where a user interface (UI) provides methods for users to send instructions to the OS

Interesting. I can see how that'd be incredibly important. Thanks for the comment.

Perhaps my own experience may be helpful in this case.

Yes, it was very helpful and interesting. The line between writing for people and machines seems very thin, indeed. This also aids with the argument that was presented in class that prof./tech. writers need to be hyphenated. That is, technical writer-editor, technical writer-software technician, etc. Thanks!

In your field, LaTeX could be useful. It is available for all three PC operating systems, but I think Linux users push it harder than others.

For examples, Google this: latex site:fullcirclemagazine.org

I'll look into that, thanks!

As someone above posted, I chose Ubuntu mainly because of the huge online resource that is this forum.
    You have certainly got some good quality answers so far.

My thoughts exactly.

One of the salient features of Ubuntu (together with other Linux distributions) is the ability to make a Live USB device with the capacity to store data and add software.

Have a quick look here:- https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LiveUsbPendrivePersistent

Excellent! Will do; thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Multiple desktops are default on most Linux distributions, they are incredibly handy for grouping applications.
    For example, you are a writer and you are researching a subject.
    On desktop one you have Firefox with multiple tabs open.
    On desktop two you might want another instance of Firefox again with multiple tabs related to a different branch of your research.
    On desktop three you might like your text editor.
    And on four maybe an image viewer/manipulator and file browser.
    Flipping between desktops is easy, press Ctrl+Alt+Left/Right Arrow keys or use Super+S. (where you can also drag windows to a different desktop)

Of course you can always create more desktops, up to 32 I believe.
    If you were running Windows (I only know about XP) you could of course scour the internet, download and install a similar utility. The problem is that you don't know if that utility is trustworthy or if it also installs malware of some sort. The same thing applies to many other utilities that come by default in Ubuntu.

I hope this helps

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Do not forget the anthropological aspect, the meta-data quite outside any technical aspect which is a BIG part of Linux/Ubuntu. When you use Ubuntu you become part of a large and international online community and that's where most of the learning comes, not from sitting in a lecture theatre in the 'real' world necessarily.

Contemporary anthropology is turning its attention more rigourously to this aspect of technology ). It's not about nuts and bolts, code and hardware, but about interactional dynamics. This would not make up the bulk of your presentation, but it would be a amiss not to mention this aspect.

Teach a man to fish, etc etc. Immersion in an online community is more about becoming part of that community and online fieldwork rather than learning a ton of code which you couldn't possibly hope to transmit to colleagues in a short paper or presentation. But then, I am unsure of the exact criteria of your project.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ikt View Post
    I would argue that in 2013 the terminal is not an important function of the Ubuntu desktop for the average user or a business user, there is simply nothing a user should be doing in it.
    I used the terminal all the time during my Ubuntu months, and I still do now on Archbang, Debian Sid, Fedora, or Debian Testing. Just prefer the CLI, I guess. -shrug-
    Metal: HP dc5750 | OS: Arch Linux 32-bit | Kernel: 3.14.0-1-ARCH | 1.8GHz AMD Sempron 3400+ | 1.5GiB RAM | 80GiB HDD | DM/DE combo: LXDM + MATE.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12