Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Big Smartphones

Beans

Re: Big Smartphones am I Crazy?

Quote Originally Posted by Gnawnsense View Post
    With how easy it is to make an extremely attractive and efficient responsive design, especially utilizing Bootstrap, I don't see the browsing experience really being a key factor to really drive individuals to want to increase their screen size for a more natural or intuitive experience. Other than the, "bigger is easier to click/read" argument I don't really see much of a benefit for scaling up on a phone. Especially since, in my experience, anything 3.5 inches and above is big enough to be easily readable and have enough real estate for even those of us with the sausage fingers.

The only benefit I see to the constant scaling up of size is the attempt to converge the concept of phones and tablets into one device, removing the need to have a smartphone and tablet device. However, that particular market has always seemed quite niche, as least in my perspective.
    yeah apple seems to make a decent one at that size but everybody and their mother seems to have a cracked one. Am i crazy for actually considering buying nokia 520 windows phone that keeps going on sale to upgrade my desire hd? I'm done with big contracts and really only use my phone for basic stuff.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    No matter how big a smartphone get's though you're still limited to about the size of your pocket.
    Unless of course you're female and carry your phone in a handbag. Plenty of opportunity in the 50% of the market that isn't limited by the size of their pockets, as sales of Samsung's great big Note phones shows.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I still don't have a smart phone of any kind, but I got the Nexus 7 tablet on release after lusting over the Asus MeMo that never got a proper release in the US. The smartphone I still really want is the MeMo - a Nexus 7 with a bluetooth headset. I carry a bag everywhere I go, and I holding a computer to my ear seems slightly daft. I also use earbuds with a mic for all my calling, whether from my laptop or with my dumbphone. I just really don't understand why anyone puts the earpiece and the control interface in the same device. That's where the ridiculous chain of compromise starts.
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    Unless of course you're female and carry your phone in a handbag. Plenty of opportunity in the 50% of the market that isn't limited by the size of their pockets, as sales of Samsung's great big Note phones shows.
    Ok even then lets assume that you are female and carry a purse. What's better a 5.8" smartphone or a 7" tablet that gets very good battery life and a flip phone that will last a week between charges? I still miss my razr for that purpose. i could forget to charge it and not have worry about it. Personally that would be my choice.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Big Smartphones

I got the new Nexus 7 tablet a while back, I love it for a tablet perfect size great tablet.

Now I am waiting for them to release the Nexus 5, I guess I am the opposite of some folks, you do so much with your phone now that I prefer a larger screen, I think a 5" screen would be perfect for a phone that you actually need to be productive with.

I support Mac's and iDevices at work so I have a 4s for my work phone and I am squinting alot of the time for critical email.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I have been using Samsung Galaxy 7" (P1000) as a phone for 3 years, carrying it in a shoulder bag.
    Today I have Galaxy Note 8, its more like a phone (very big), but it is like having mobile office, navigator, home bank, ticket to the bus, camera, heartbeat detector, finding electronic wire in walls, showing police insurance document, at home watch internet TV, radio, mail, translate..... it si a lifesaver.
    Ok I look stupid when I am talking on the phone, but I don't care

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I'd highly recommend the Moto X if you can get it. It's got a "big" screen but feels quite small in the hand.

Beans

I carry my Galaxy S3 in my pocket all the time. It is not too large, and the device is so siim that I hardly notice it is there. Whenever I see my friends trying to read text on their iPhones, I'm even more convinced that the S3 was the right choice for me.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    How do you do anything, if you've got your smartphone in your hand all the time. I can think of several things you need two hands to do.
    I have to restrain myself to just smile!
    You crack me up...
    Regards

Beans

I totally agree with you. I have an iPhone 5, i regret this choice even more now when iOS7 came out. But that's not the point. I like the screensize of iPhone 5 though as well as you do, but screensizes like Samsung Galaxy Note, nah... That's not comfortable at all. But what feels right, is right. It's just a question of subjective evaluation.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast