Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Big Smartphones

Beans

Big Smartphones

Big smartphones sound great in theory but, I actually think apple might be right about keeping the screensize down. No matter how big you go you are always going to be making compromises when using your phone because it has to fit in a pocket. My nexus 7 fits in my pocket but if i sit down i worry about the screen snapping in half. Sure the bigger the screen the better the browsing experience but it still won't be as good as on a laptop or tablet. Personally I think that the smartphone companines should focus on making apps that format the web content so that it works better on smaller screens rather than making the screens bigger to make the web content less crappy. Even with the biggest smartphone in the world it's still under the restriction of fitting in your pocket. What we want is a serviceable experience when out and about without dragging a fullsize laptop/tablet around with us. Personally for me I'd much rather have apps that do a few things I need well and either wait until I get home and watch video on my big tv, or if i knew i'd be on vacation for a week or so I'd make it a point to bring something that does the job better like a laptop or tablet. Am I crazy?
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Big Smartphones am I Crazy?

I think you have a valid point. However, getting website coders to essentially make two versions of their websites is not gonna happen anytime soon. Because of the format issues of displaying websites in a smartdevice's browser, they have chosen to instead release apps for their website instead of having dual-format webpages. Personally, I don't like using an app to access a website's content because it bypasses whatever browser customizations I may have setup, not to mention the access the app has with my device.
    It would be an uphill battle in changing the status quo, much in the same way that it has been about websites migrating to html5.
    HP Pavilion dv6, Core i3-3110M, 6GB RAM, nVIDIA Geforce GT 650M, 640GB HDD: Win7 / Xubuntu 13.10 64bit

Beans

They already do for the most part. At least with sites that anticipate a bunch of mobile traffic or it's easy enough to do ala amazon,facebook,wikipedia,etc. Personally for me i'd rather have an app for say facebook that is tailored to the screen size rather than just buying a phone with a big screen just to make web page look less crappy and deal with an occassional crappy webpage on smaller screen. After all its about convenience and once you start reaching screen sizes that you have to consider carrying a bag it loses it's appeal for men and for women who already carry a bag why not just get a nexus 7 with 3g and a flip phone?
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I've always thought 3.7" was the perfect screen size. But there weren't that many devices with that size, the Nexus One was the only one I remember being interested in.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Before I bought Nexus 4, my only mobile device was iPod touch. And the bigger screen size of Nexus 4 took me a while to get used to, it was even making me feel like I am going to drop it, often forcing me to use two hands to use it or to type something. iPod touch (or iPhone which had same screen size) felt like it fit perfectly in my hand.
    Last edited by Kdar; September 29th, 2013 at 07:19 AM.

Beans

I personally like huge phones. Right now, my Samsung Infuse is 4.5 inches and I wouldn't mind getting one bigger. It eliminates the need to have a tablet and phone. I never carry my phone in my pocket, as I just hold it in my hand, so no big deal to me. The Samsung Mega is 6.5 inches and would be glorious to have one.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

How do you do anything, if you've got your smartphone in your hand all the time. I can think of several things you need two hands to do.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Android_63 View Post
    I personally like huge phones. Right now, my Samsung Infuse is 4.5 inches and I wouldn't mind getting one bigger. It eliminates the need to have a tablet and phone. I never carry my phone in my pocket, as I just hold it in my hand, so no big deal to me. The Samsung Mega is 6.5 inches and would be glorious to have one.
    No matter how big a smartphone get's though you're still limited to about the size of your pocket. Call me crazy but i'd rather have a smartphone that does the stuff that i don't need anything bigger for and in the rare case i need something bigger or have room for it bring a bigger device along. For example walking around town enjoying the day and listening to music and occasionally checking my email/tweets the iphone size is plenty. If i know i'm gonna be stuck on a plane for a long time I'll make it a point to pack something that does a better job of stuff i would want to do on a plane. It's all about picking the right tool for the job. I don't want a device that tries and make content tailored for bigger screens work on smaller screens by making the screen slightly bigger. I want a device that takes the content and makes it fit the smaller format. If i have to scroll left or right or zoom in on text to be able to read an article it's a fail in my book.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by zer010 View Post
    I think you have a valid point. However, getting website coders to essentially make two versions of their websites is not gonna happen anytime soon. Because of the format issues of displaying websites in a smartdevice's browser, they have chosen to instead release apps for their website instead of having dual-format webpages. Personally, I don't like using an app to access a website's content because it bypasses whatever browser customizations I may have setup, not to mention the access the app has with my device.
    It would be an uphill battle in changing the status quo, much in the same way that it has been about websites migrating to html5.
    With how easy it is to make an extremely attractive and efficient responsive design, especially utilizing Bootstrap, I don't see the browsing experience really being a key factor to really drive individuals to want to increase their screen size for a more natural or intuitive experience. Other than the, "bigger is easier to click/read" argument I don't really see much of a benefit for scaling up on a phone. Especially since, in my experience, anything 3.5 inches and above is big enough to be easily readable and have enough real estate for even those of us with the sausage fingers.

The only benefit I see to the constant scaling up of size is the attempt to converge the concept of phones and tablets into one device, removing the need to have a smartphone and tablet device. However, that particular market has always seemed quite niche, as least in my perspective.

Beans

I agree with you I had a 4inch htc 8s and it was brilliant size wise. However just didn't cut it for me so recently switched to a htc one and whilst it is alot better it is still to big for me . The problem is you go smaller and you seam to end up with terrible hardware.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast