Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Final beta milestone ready for download and testing.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Final beta ready.

Now here is a weird thing. I have just re-installed using the same image. This time I selected Install Ubuntu from the text mode screen and the install went as it should and upon reboot I am at a working desktop. Now blackscreen. No login screen bounce back. How is it possible for the different options to install to work differently?

I have found one negative thing. It is not loading xmir. Did I tick install third party software without intending to? No. No proprietary video driver. It is on Gallium 0.4 = Nouveau.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro

Re: Final beta milestone ready for download and testing.

It's not loading XMir because it's still not enabled by default. You still have to enable universe repo and install unity-system-compositor package. Then you either reboot or restart LightDM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Mateusz Stachowski View Post
    It's not loading XMir because it's still not enabled by default. You still have to enable universe repo and install unity-system-compositor package. Then you either reboot or restart LightDM.
    I know. I am just waiting for when that happens so I can install over my long term development branch install.

I have been running saucy on xmir for weeks. I even have one saucy install where the repositories are pointing to the "devel" repositories. Anyway, I know that the little glitches that this new install has are nothing to do with xmir. Glitches like rebooting after an update to the kernel and loosing the power cog menu. Then a log out and back in bringing back the power cog menu but loosing the clock app indicatior. And yes, I do have the box ticked to put the clock in the top panel. And the clock settings page is greyed out. But as I say, this cannot be anything to do with xmir.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    I'm not talking about "daily builds". I'm talking about what Ubuntu represented as a "Final Beta". Have you tried that image?
    Yes..actually ran it today...ran super on the live session but didn't try installing of course, since i am already running it...i did bring up the installer from the live session and it seemed to be working normal too...though of course, i was careful not to hit "install now"...

@grahammechanical: i don't think they have activated xmir by default yet...as you know, i am running 13.10 on my toshiba laptop with intel so naturally it's the open source drivers but they haven't turned it on by default yet, so i wouldn't be surprised if it was like that on the beta iso also...when i ran package manager, i see the packages but they aren't actually installed...they are supposed to turn it on by feature freeze but that is not until Oct 10th...so i'd imagine that sometime between now and then, the update will come down to activate it...

An interesting thing i noticed about the installer is it always gives you the option to UPGRADE rather then clean install, in this case, i am running Saucy and i can Upgrade to 13.10 if i wish...i might use that when the 13.10 final iso comes out to upgrade my 13.10 development to 13.10 final....in that way, i would imagine it will clean out the extra stuff i accumulated from all the updating in development...
    After that point, i will upgrade only from final to final versions of ubuntu...as i am not planning on staying on development...
    Last edited by craig10x; September 28th, 2013 at 10:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by VMC View Post
    Testing the day before the beta, I have pretty much the same outcome, also Kubuntu is flawless. Using AMD Athlon(tm) II X2 250 Processor × 2 ,GeForce 6150SE nForce 430/integrated/SSE2.

Ubuntu Saucy is almost useless. I have downloaded a Quantal kernel, and on the beta I will try that kernel to see if I get improvements on the graphics side. Trying to determine what's up with nvidia. Maybe an oler nouveau will work.
    That was expected as Kubuntu (Lubuntu, Xubuntu) stick with Xorg but beta took ages to boot on an Intel system - QQ booted 30% faster and now I have to check why Saucy takes so long to boot.

Beans

I've only tested Ubuntu, Ubuntu GNOME, and Lubuntu so I can't comment on the other flavors but my results with an Intel Atom CPU 230 @ 1.60GHz w/Intel 82945G/GZ Integrated Graphics are as follows:

Ubuntu Saucy final Beta is largely unusable ..... it takes nearly 5 (yes five) minutes for the dash to launch so you can even open an app not located in the launcher. It takes about 2 minutes even to open an app such as "files" in the launcher. Makes me wonder what the minimum specs are going to be .............. maybe a gazillion GHz CPU with a graphics board the size of the space station

Ubuntu GNOME final Beta is pretty good. I've encountered few problems using it out-of-box

Lubuntu final Beta is experiencing a lot of kernel freezes
    You need to create ~/.xprofile with the line in it
    Code:
    export UNITY_LOW_GFX_MODE=1
    This will switch off some of the power-hungry effects. I have unity running nicely on an Atom
    Registered Linux User #407403

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pauljwells View Post
    You need to create ~/.xprofile with the line in it
    Code:
    export UNITY_LOW_GFX_MODE=1
    This will switch off some of the power-hungry effects. I have unity running nicely on an Atom
    Cool, I'll try that .............. but you realize since it's largely unusable out-of-box that most people will just try it and then walk away

Beans
    Distro

Cool, I'll try that .............. but you realize since it's largely unusable out-of-box that most people will just try it and then walk away
    Success:
    Lubuntu saucy beta install clean as a whistle,

Except for Ubuntu disconnecting from hidden wireless network at boot. Chromebook, 12.04, nook, samsung galaxy, ... tell them once about the hidden network and connect automatically at boot every time. Ubuntu gives me the message "Disconnected....". Look at network, says the network is out of range. It's not, by policy network manager tries to connect without using the encryption key it has. Launchpad bugs about this for ages. "Not a bug, it's network manager policy". Not user friendly.

Lubuntu of course is for someone familiar with linux, not a newbie.

Ubuntu install buggy. On two pc's so far, 64 and 32, "top" shows ubiquity starting for a couple seconds then drops off. No activity at all. Minutes later, give command line sudo killall -15 ubiquity, then sudo ubiquity. "top" shows a couple seconds activity, then nothing for 3 minutes. Finally ubiquity starts up. I see there's a daily build dated 29 September I'll try that.

One try, connected wireless encrypted then started ubiquity. Finally got to the ubuntu one thing, I selected later (maybe never) and ubiquity froze. 10 minutes later, no activity at all, discovered internet had dropped out. Ubiquity/ubuntu didnt tell me that, just sat there with "top" saying ubiquity 99.6% cpu (dual processor, 200% is available) and 6.5% memory. O.K., open install without internet, usual nothing, killall, sudo ubiquity and got going again. I haven't noticed much different than earlier builds this month, except for the difficulties on install which I have not had all thru saucy cycle.

Oh, one new item, in both install and first boot, external monitor shows built in smaller desktop overlaid on larger external monitor disktop. Bug written. systems settings displays fixes that.

Oh, bug on displays, unity shows only "built in". Select mirror, shows both. Turn off built in, select 1360x768 on external, gives me only the choice of counter clockwise or clockwise. No normal rotation. Cut it down to 1024x768, set normal, set apply, do the settings displays again and now normal is available for 1360x768. That's an old launchpad bug been around for months.

Well I'm up and running. This ubuntu/unity install experience on two pc's not for newbies.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

There is regression on my Dell Dimension 3100 tower desktop on the 'live' session. That old PC has been a workhorse and has loaded most every iso very expeditiously, until now. It does, however, have an older instell graphics chipset. As I reported earlier - smooth install and "live' on Sandybridge. Smooth "live' on older ATI radeon but crappy install afterworks.

Now .. on to nVidia..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

The live session is working awesomely on one of my Intel Asus machines with nVidia GT218/210. Unity Dash/Panel ..a-OK.

Code:
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ lspci
    00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 82925X/XE Memory Controller Hub (rev 0e)
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82925X/XE PCI Express Root Port (rev 0e)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 04)
    00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 04)
    00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #1 (rev 04)
    00:1d.1 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #2 (rev 04)
    00:1d.2 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #3 (rev 04)
    00:1d.3 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB UHCI #4 (rev 04)
    00:1d.7 USB controller: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 04)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 PCI Bridge (rev d4)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FR (ICH6/ICH6R) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 04)
    00:1f.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) IDE Controller (rev 04)
    00:1f.2 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82801FR/FRW (ICH6R/ICH6RW) SATA Controller (rev 04)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801FB/FBM/FR/FW/FRW (ICH6 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 04)
    01:03.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB43AB22A IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link) [iOHCI-Lynx]
    01:04.0 Mass storage controller: Integrated Technology Express, Inc. IT8212 Dual channel ATA RAID controller (rev 13)
    02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88E8053 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 19)
    04:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GT218 [GeForce 210] (rev a2)
    04:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)
    ubuntu@ubuntu:~$

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast