Thread: 12.04 LTS upgraded, some systems do not have graphical boot progress, text only

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

12.04 LTS upgraded, some systems do not have graphical boot progress, text only

I switched desktop systems from Ubuntu 10.04, first swapped to xubuntu-desktop, then performed the LTS upgrade to 12.04.

A couple of systems have a text mode boot time splash / progress verses the Xubuntu usual graphical progress screen. When these systems finish booting, the proper Xubuntu graphical login screen appears, and from there it is normal.

I have verified that grub is still configured thusly:

Code:
    # /etc/default/grub
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
    and performed another update-grub, without change.

Is there some package that perhaps got left off during either the swap over to xubuntu-desktop, or in the LTS upgrade which is responsible for the boot time graphical display?

All systems have nVidia video chips, and all use the binary nVidia drivers. So that is not a difference between systems.
    Michael Lueck

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: 12.04 LTS upgraded, some systems do not have graphical boot progress, text only

I was able to recreate an example of what I am seeing on these upgraded installations of Xubuntu 12.04 by booting the Xubuntu 12.04 LiveCD in installation mode.

xubuntu_text_mode_boot_screen.jpg

On numerous other Xubuntu installations, it boots with a graphical boot progress screen. This example is much like Ubuntu Server edition... yet it clearly identifies itself as Xubuntu! Why is this?
    Michael Lueck