Thread: Best recommended USB Gamepad for old skool emulation?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Best recommended USB Gamepad for old skool emulation?

Hello there,

I am looking in the market for USB based controllers that would work with ZNES and other similar emulators on my Ubuntu 12.04 laptop. I am curious if anyone has model recommendations? I see some out there that resemble PS2 controllers as well as ones that resemble SNES controllers. I am leaning towards the later because the physical controllers is smaller and I know my children will want to play.

Thank you all in advance and I will keep th thread up to date with my experience.
    Independant Perl and Unix Developper. Enter our contest to win my services, FREE at PI Web Solutions Inc.

Beans

Re: Best recommended USB Gamepad for old skool emulation?

A PS3 controller, via USB at least, should theoretically work.
    X360 controllers, via USB, I know for certain work.

There are USB-adapters for SNES and older console gamepads. (There many such as Saturn to USB, Playstation to USB, N64 to USB...)

If you want something SMALL, you can get a Playstation-to-USB adapter (~5$US on Amazon.com) and these Dance Summit 2001 Controllers by ASCII for Playstation. For very small hands! (Often found on eBay for 20~30$US)

If you can find a GameCube to USB adapter, stores such as GameStop carry "mini" wireless Gamecube controllers (either under their GameStop logo or the original MadCatz brand). The quality is often so-so, but it's only 15~20$US each. (Amazon also has these.)

Beans

Re: Best recommended USB Gamepad for old skool emulation?

I wouldn't really say there's a best, as it's mostly a matter of preference, and so long as they are designed for PC, it should just plug and play after setting up your buttons of course. I mean if it's not designed for PC it very well could work if there's support for it. But as Pako Pako said, there are also adapters that allow you to hook up your real Super Nintendo controllers and whatnot directly to your computer that will just make it work for your computer. Heck, you could even hook up a Nintendo Wii controller to the computer if it has Bluetooth.

You could also use a PS3 controller as Pako suggested, as those can be connected VIA USB or Bluetooth with the right setup. The Xbox 360 wired controllers usually work well as far as I am aware. If you're asking like which brand is best, well I'd still say personal preference though some controllers aren't built well as others. I feel Logitech has some solid controllers. But there really isn't a high standard as what qualifies as a good USB controller.