Thread: Unable to boot from live usb on a mac

Beans

Unable to boot from live usb on a mac

Hello,
    I'm trying to dual boot ubuntu with snow leopard on a macbook. I've created a live usb(s) using the dd command and unetbootin and I have rEFIt installed. When i try to boot and choose the usb i get a black screen reading "Missing operating system". Could someone help me?

Beans

Re: Unable to boot from live usb on a mac

Hi, I think the filesystem on the USB is corrupted: I've used the dd command in the past and sometimes, it rendered the USB drive useless; I had to reformat it and make a new partition table. Normally, if you use Unetbootin, you shouldn't have any problems.

The problem could also be with a particular release of Ubuntu: currently two releases are supported:
    - Ubuntu 12.04.3: This is the current Long Term Support (LTS) release, it has updates untill April 2017. I always recommend using this release.
    - Ubuntu 13.04: this release has newer features, but it tends to be more unstable on some machines. Also, it has only 6 months of support: you have to upgrade every six months if you choose the "regular" releases instead of the LTS's.

I don't own a Mac, so I don't know this information will be useful for you, but I hope this is somewhat useful.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Unable to boot from live usb on a mac

Quote Originally Posted by JonasDeMoor View Post
    ... Also, it has only 6 months of support...
    Actually, it has 9 months of support (3 month "grace" period if you can't upgrade).

Quote Originally Posted by peterk2
    ... I have rEFIt installed. When i try to boot and choose the usb i get a black screen reading "Missing operating system"
    I recommend using rEFInd instead of rEFIt, because:

2013-03-29: As you may have noticed, rEFIt is no longer actively maintained. Please check out rEFInd, a fork that is maintaned and under active development.
    -Jonathan