Thread: Seeing Light in a New Light: Scientists Create Never-Before-Seen Form of Matter

Beans
    Hidden!

Post Seeing Light in a New Light: Scientists Create Never-Before-Seen Form of Matter

"Harvard and MIT scientists are challenging the conventional wisdom about light, and they didn't need to go to a galaxy far, far away to do it.

Working with colleagues at the Harvard-MIT Center for Ultracold Atoms, a group led by Harvard Professor of Physics Mikhail Lukin and MIT Professor of Physics Vladan Vuletic have managed to coax photons into binding together to form molecules -- a state of matter that, until recently, had been purely theoretical. The work is described in a September 25 paper in Nature.

The discovery, Lukin said, runs contrary to decades of accepted wisdom about the nature of light. Photons have long been described as massless particles which don't interact with each other -- shine two laser beams at each other, he said, and they simply pass through one another.

'Photonic molecules,' however, behave less like traditional lasers and more like something you might find in science fiction -- the light saber.

'Most of the properties of light we know about originate from the fact that photons are massless, and that they do not interact with each other,' Lukin said. "What we have done is create a special type of medium in which photons interact with each other so strongly that they begin to act as though they have mass, and they bind together to form molecules. This type of photonic bound state has been discussed theoretically for quite a while, but until now it hadn't been observed.' ..."

Source: Sciencedaily.com

And suddenly my fantasy about have tech made of photonic (light) materials has been revived.
    Last edited by MasterNetra; September 26th, 2013 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Adjusted Parenthesis Structure
    Diaspora Handle: masternetra@diasp.org

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: *Seeing Light in a New Light: Scientists Create Never-Before-Seen Form of Matter*

Lukin I am your father.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: *Seeing Light in a New Light: Scientists Create Never-Before-Seen Form of Matter*

"I find your lack of faith in photonic molecules disturbing . . ."
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

"I see you have constructed a photonic molocule. Your skills are complete."
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by philinux View Post
    Lukin I am your father.

"An effect called a Rydberg blockade, Lukin said, which states that when an atom is excited, nearby atoms cannot be excited to the same degree. "

- they just stand around saying 'Meh'
    Last edited by Paulgirardin; September 28th, 2013 at 10:50 PM.
    Ubuntu 23.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Seeing Light in a New Light: Scientists Create Never-Before-Seen Form of Matter

That is the power of The Force. It connects you to me to the rock to the tree.
    -------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.