Thread: Optimization for Media Server

Beans

Optimization for Media Server

Hi,

have an old pc configuration here which I've been trying to get the maximum of it to run as a media server (and maybe for web development server)

The config is the following:
    Pentium 4 2.53GHz
    2,5 GB Ram
    ATI Radeon x1600 256gb
    HD Maxtor (very old) 7200rpm 160gb
    HD Samsung 7200rpm 80gb

I don't know if it possible to play 1080p movies without stuttering with this config. At the moment, I have installed Ubuntu 12.04., running ATI opensource drivers. I've tested PS3 Media server, Universal Media Server and Serviio.
    For some reason I couldn't make Serviio work properly (I can't see the video files or any file on the DLNA device (Panasonic TV)). PMS and UMS works, but 1080p is suttering a lot and 720p is stuttering a little. Already tested different codecs.

So, I'd like to ask what would be the best media server option for this configuration? I could run movies on the fly but my main concerning is subtitles. I'm in a infinite research for the best way of playing 3D movies with subtitles (heard about 3D subtitle and Wild Media Server but didnt test yet). So, for using subtitles I think I'll need some transcoding, is that correct?
    Also, I'd like to know everything I can disable or change in the system to improve perfomance, including disabling gnome and let it boot in console.

Thanks in advance for any reply!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: Optimization for Media Server

Duplicate of http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2175465 closed. In accordance with the Code of Conduct, please don't create duplicate threads; it's confusing and it dilutes community effort.