Thread: Headset mic not working

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Headset mic not working

I'm having trouble getting my headset (not usb, meant for cellphones) to work with my Xubuntu 13.04 desktop. It works fine on my Android phone as both speakers and mic, but I generally spend much more time in front of my computer and it would be more convenient for me to use that over my webcam's microphone to combat voip feedback. The problem is I can't seem to get it to recognize the microphone exists. At the moment, it is plugged into both the headphone and the microphone slot, through a physical Y-cable and extension cord.

I can get the headphones to output sound (though I generally have to switch the Profile from the current one of "Digital Stereo (HDMI) Output + Analog Stereo Input" to "Analog Stereo Output + Analog Stereo Output", through pavucontrol (menu --> Multimedia --> PulseAudio Volume Control).

Whats worse is my LinPhone doesn't seem to be recognizing either input at the moment. And the only options it has for capture device selections are "PulseAudio: default" and "ALSA: default device". It seems by those output settings that the ALSA: HDA Intel is my HDMI speakers, and PulseAudio: default is my headset, so for now its set to the PulseAudio one.

Through Google Chat settings, I see an explicit option for my webcam as a microphone. Yet not in LinPhone, and no option works for my headsets mic, which is my preferred option here.

On reading other messages, people seem to be pointed to alsa-project.org for a system analysis, so if it helps, here's those results for me.
    Last edited by tnanek; September 27th, 2013 at 01:46 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Headset mic not working

What kind of laptop are you using? I believe your laptop will need a combo jack in order to properly work with that type of headset. (Meaning you will need a traditional 3.5 mm one for headphone and 3.5mm one for mic)

Hope that helps!
    ~Caboose

PS I found this adapter that might do the trick: Headset Buddy Smartphone to PC adapter
    Last edited by Caboose885; September 27th, 2013 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Found Adapter
    UA Team Member
    "When our actions do not, our fears do make us traitors." -- Shakespeare
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not!" -- Dr. Seuss
    "No man has ever seen his dreams fulfilled and regretted the sacrifice necessary to fulfill them" -- Mattie Montgomery

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

This is a mini-tower desktop; Gateway SX2801-01e.

On looking up more specifics about headset issues, someone here mentions it is a 4-pole 3.5mm cable that their trying to convert from, so a standard Y-cable won't work, need to get one of those adaptors which you linked to, thanks Caboose.

I don't see any way of setting this as solved...
    Last edited by tnanek; September 27th, 2013 at 09:44 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

You should be able to mark it as solved under the thread tools at the top of the thread.

Glad I could help!
    ~Caboose
    UA Team Member
    "When our actions do not, our fears do make us traitors." -- Shakespeare
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It's not!" -- Dr. Seuss
    "No man has ever seen his dreams fulfilled and regretted the sacrifice necessary to fulfill them" -- Mattie Montgomery