Thread: difference between Ubuntu software center and Synaptic package manager

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: difference between Ubuntu software center and Synaptic package manager

Moved to ubuntu Linux and OS chat.

Beans

For me the main difference between Synaptic and Software Center (and the only single reason why I sometimes use the later) is that you can buy software on SC.

SC would be great for people not remotely interested in package dependencies or the inner working of package managers, as Synaptic shows a lot of packages for libraries that can be confusing... that is, it would be great if SC wasn't sooooo slow.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Quote Originally Posted by javi-brainfull View Post
    For me the main difference between Synaptic and Software Center (and the only single reason why I sometimes use the later) is that you can buy software on SC.

SC would be great for people not remotely interested in package dependencies or the inner working of package managers, as Synaptic shows a lot of packages for libraries that can be confusing... that is, it would be great if SC wasn't sooooo slow.
    Don't know if its me or something, I use both, and have not found SC to be lacking in speed! But I've been using from May this year only. Earlier on when I tried out 10.10 Maverick & Natty, I didn't venture into Synaptic, hence can't say.

But yes, Synaptic is far more thorough and it's more useful than SC . Linux kernels can be installed and deleted with Synaptic, so its kind of more powerful too, if I may put it that way!

Also, another point of difference is, Synaptic is not only restricted to Ubuntu, but works in parent Debian also, where as SC is developed for & by Ubuntu only.

As per Debian website: Synaptic: Synaptic is a Gtk+ based Frontend to the Debian package manager. It provides the same functionality as the aptitude utility plus more...(https://wiki.debian.org/Synaptic)

And, as per Launchpad: SC: You can easily find and install software, and purchase commercial software. You can rate and review software...(https://launchpad.net/software-center‎)
    Last edited by su:bhatta; September 27th, 2013 at 01:06 PM.
    bhatta

May the Source be with you !
    Ash nazg durbatulūk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulūk, agh
    'Buntu-ishi krimpatul !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

@nashtrik

So, you want to know which is better of the two? Do you know how to use Synaptic Package Manager? No? Do you know how to use the Ubuntu Software Centre? Yes? If so then the better utility is the one that you know how to use.

In one sense the software Centre has replaced Synaptic because from 12.10 onwards Synaptic is not part of the default installation of Ubuntu. To use it we have to install it through the Software Centre or the terminal.

Whether we use apt-get in a terminal, Synaptic Package Manager or Ubuntu Software Centre the results are pretty much the same. If there is a problem with incomplete files/codecs or a lot of unnecessary ones, as you put it, then the same problem will be there in all three methods of installing/removing stuff.

There are times when it is advantageous to use either of the three methods but for ordinary users the Software Centre and the Update Manager should be sufficient. That reminds me. Synaptic combines updating the OS with installing software.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

I have always found SC to be slow. and multiple installs even slower. I have never had synaptic install updates with software i was installing. maybe i just didnt notice.
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.

In service to the Dream

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Also, another point of difference is, Synaptic is not only restricted to Ubuntu, but works in parent Debian also, where as SC is developed for & by Ubuntu only.
    Software center is available in debian.
    http://packages.debian.org/sid/software-center

Upstream is not a one-way street all the time.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    Software center is available in debian.
    http://packages.debian.org/sid/software-center

Upstream is not a one-way street all the time.
    I'm glad you shared that one ! I wasn't aware !

Maybe because it's available in sid, and i use wheezy!

P.S. : Its there in Wheezy also, just didn't bother with it & used Synaptic in Debian always!
    This is a nice read: http://askubuntu.com/questions/19361...n-repositories
    Last edited by su:bhatta; September 27th, 2013 at 04:50 PM.
    bhatta

May the Source be with you !
    Ash nazg durbatulūk, ash nazg gimbatul, ash nazg thrakatulūk, agh
    'Buntu-ishi krimpatul !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by ibjsb4 View Post
    Synaptic loads faster.
    As much as I really do think the switch to a simpler and more broadly informative front-end with a lot of discoverability as the default for routine package installation was an entirely sensible and good one, this post made me spittake, and I thank you. = )
    ~ I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home. ~

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12