Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Could Ubuntu save RIM?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Could Ubuntu save RIM?

i read one of value investors plans to invest in BB. The advantage of Ubuntu on a phone would be that many office and other applciaitons already exist. it porbably wouldnt' be too difficult to port android applicaitons as well. and the way it was planned is a portable smartphone/PC. maybe it could actually work.
    Read the easy to understand, lots of pics Ubuntu manual.
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    Full disk backup (newer kernel -> suitable for newer PC): Clonezilla
    User friendly full disk backup: Rescuezilla

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cptrohn View Post
    They support the only encryption that is approved by the US DOD and other governments. Thats what makes them worth money right now.
    The official US encryption standard is AES, a public algorithm. Anything beyond that violates Federal policies as promulgated by NIST and the NSA.

Are you talking about encrypted voice or encrypted messaging? For the latter you can use open public-key methods like GPG with AES256 (AES with 256-bit keys) as the algorithm.

Blackberry might have packaged these things together in a way that makes them easy to administer, but the underlying technologies are all open.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Ubuntu can barely save itself.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by 64bitiso View Post
    Ubuntu can barely save itself.
    Well, hardly. Ubuntu will be around for a long time, the "Crowdfunding" proved that.
    But RIM : Blackberry, went down the tube due to poor management and very bad customer service. The arrogant attitude at RIM Park has effectively leveled the company,
    but................. The company (RIM/BB) will be sold shortly, and "Fairfax Financial" has an excellent record in management and customer service.
    Look closely at Canonicals' Ubuntu. Good management, and "IMHO" excellent customer service.
    Ubuntu is the leader of the pack and Redhat may be doing well but Ubuntu shines.
    Allen Graham
    (business consultant)
    E&O.E
    Pay now, or pay later, there's no free lunch.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AllenGG View Post
    Well, hardly. Ubuntu will be around for a long time, the "Crowdfunding" proved that.
    But RIM : Blackberry, went down the tube due to poor management and very bad customer service. The arrogant attitude at RIM Park has effectively leveled the company,
    but................. The company (RIM/BB) will be sold shortly, and "Fairfax Financial" has an excellent record in management and customer service.
    Look closely at Canonicals' Ubuntu. Good management, and "IMHO" excellent customer service.
    Ubuntu is the leader of the pack and Redhat may be doing well but Ubuntu shines.
    Allen Graham
    (business consultant)
    E&O.E
    Ubuntu spies on its' users - fact. There's no getting around that, or getting around the appalling "Unity" rubbish.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

The fact that RMS labels it spying does not make it spying. Unity bashing is tiresome.

Back on topic, please.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    The fact that RMS labels it spying does not make it spying. Unity bashing is tiresome.

Back on topic, please.

Can't be bothered. I have better to do.
    Last edited by 64bitiso; October 1st, 2013 at 09:38 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

If you would like the opinion of a Canonical employee, it might be best to communicate with one.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    If you would like the opinion of a Canonical employee, it might be best to communicate with one.
    Removed comments that do not further this discussion, and yes - it was totally off-topic. No point speaking one's mind, when it is denied outright - I refuse to waste my time on such futile pursuits.
    Last edited by 64bitiso; October 1st, 2013 at 09:37 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I like my Z10; it's a good phone, and yes I tried Android - I don't like it. It's too bad Apple did not buy Blackberry - it would make a great Apple division.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast