Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hotmail account will not work with any email program

Beans

Hotmail account will not work with any email program

Hi,

I am very new to Ubuntu but am loving it so far. I have however run into problems using Evolution mail & Thunderbird.

No matter what pop or smtp servers I try I get the same response could not connect to pop3.live.com ect Connection refused.

This is driving me crazy! I have set my windows live account to enable pop access and allow pop apps, but still no progress. I have even used the server address listed on the live.com website with no luck.

Is there something I am missing? Does anyone else have a similar problem?

Thanks in advance.

Adam

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Hotmail account will not work with any email program

Is your password longer than 16 characters? If so, try changing it to something 16 characters or less.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

You might also want to double check that Evolution or Thunderbird is using the correct port numbers and security:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...1-bea3edf6a24f

Beans

Password is 8 characters long with a mix of upper and lower case letters, I have used the suggested ports on the Hotmail web page & the settings in Azdour's link.

Thank you for the responses but still no luck with it working.

Beans

Also on another note, Evolution has not asked me for my mail password?! This could be causing the problem. I am using Evolution 3.2.3 on Ubuntu 12.04 LTS I haven't seen any box to enter a password in the setup ( I assumed it would ask when sending and receiving)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Maybe you do not use the correct user name for the connection.

It's already quite a while ago that I struggled with this same problem, even when I still used Windows (and that is a very long time ago), and it is not connected to what operating system you use, or what mail client.
    Problem is that some providers use the part before the @ as user name, and other providers the full email address. And maybe there are other strategies they use.

You may try this, see the documentation of your providers, or see what you use in Windows, if you still use Windows.

Topsiho

Beans

Have tried using without the full email address and username but still the same I have also tried in Thunderbird to get my hotmail mail but with the same results. I also installed Thunderbird in Windows and had the same outcome. This feels like it may be an issue with the pop server at hotmail / microsoft perhaps.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Azdour View Post
    You might also want to double check that Evolution or Thunderbird is using the correct port numbers and security:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/w...1-bea3edf6a24f
    Exactly, you must use SSL and port 995 to access the mail server.

If you are not following these instructions exactly then you are wasting everybody's time.
    Regards, David.
    Please use the Forum search and Wiki search for immediate help
    Please mark your thread as Solved when appropriate
    New to technical forums?: How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Beans

I have input all of these settings exactly into both Thunderbird and Evolution. Thunderbird just hangs on connecting to pop3.live.com Evolution says connection refused.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Have you set up a firewall to block all ports on your computer except ones you specifically open?

When you set up the pop3 account in Thunderbird, when it asked for your password did you ask it to save it? Could it be that you entered in the password wrong - now no matter what settings you use it is using the wrong password?

If you think it is the wrong password: go to Edit | Preferences - click on Security and then on the Passwords tab. Now click on the Saved Password and remove the ones associated with your hotmail account and try again to connect. It should ask for your password again.

Failing that could you take a screenshot of the pop3 account settings in Thunderbird and post them here to see if we can spot anything?
    Last edited by Azdour; September 26th, 2013 at 02:47 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast