Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Samba 4.0.9 samba-tool drs showrepl error Samba not running

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Samba 4.0.9 samba-tool drs showrepl error Samba not running

This is a strange problem. I've just installed a new Ubuntu 12.04.2 server with Samba 4.0.9 and it won't start either. I believe the problem is that my smb.conf file is missing. I will try to copy the standard smb.conf and change it for my needs.
    What ya need my signature for? It's not like it's my last will, or something!

Beans
    Distro

This problem is solved.
    This is how I did it.
    I copied the content of smb.conf from DC01 and pasted it in a new smb.conf on DC02, changed
    Code:
    [global]
    netbios name = dc01
    to dc02 in smb.conf. Then I used
    Code:
    samba-tool domain join jobbfabriken.lan DC -Uadministrator --realm=jobbfabriken.lan
    to add DC02 as an additional domain controller.

Started samba4 and then it replicated between the two DC's. It is tested and working. I created a user on DC02 and it was showing up on DC01 too.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JnPson View Post
    This problem is solved.
    This is how I did it.
    I copied the content of smb.conf from DC01 and pasted it in a new smb.conf on DC02, changed
    Code:
    [global]
    netbios name = dc01
    to dc02 in smb.conf. Then I used
    Code:
    samba-tool domain join jobbfabriken.lan DC -Uadministrator --realm=jobbfabriken.lan
    to add DC02 as an additional domain controller.

Started samba4 and then it replicated between the two DC's. It is tested and working. I created a user on DC02 and it was showing up on DC01 too.
    I know this is solved but you are not supposed to have a smb.conf file present before the join.

Beans
    Distro

Yes, smb.conf is needed to be able to join. And if it doesn't exist after installation then samba will have problem starting. This is what happened to me. I created a new smb.conf on DC02 based on smb.conf from DC01 and changed the nebios name in smb.conf to DC02. Then I was able to start samba and use samba-tool to join the domain.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by JnPson View Post
    Yes, smb.conf is needed to be able to join. And if it doesn't exist after installation then samba will have problem starting. This is what happened to me. I created a new smb.conf on DC02 based on smb.conf from DC01 and changed the nebios name in smb.conf to DC02. Then I was able to start samba and use samba-tool to join the domain.
    This is taken directly from the Wiki.

Getting ready for joining Samba as a DC to an existing domain

• You need to install Samba as a DC, as described in the Samba AD DC HowTo, but don't do the provision/classicupgrade step. If you choose BIND as DNS backend, instead of the internal DNS, then you, of course, have to finish this before you continue. Depending on your needs, you can have different backends on each of your DC.

• You should remove any existing smb.conf in /usr/local/samba/etc/.

• Be sure, that you have your setup your existing domain correctly as your default realm in /etc/krb5.conf with the following options:

Not sure why you needed it.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by lingpanda View Post
    This is taken directly from the Wiki.

Getting ready for joining Samba as a DC to an existing domain

• You need to install Samba as a DC, as described in the Samba AD DC HowTo, but don't do the provision/classicupgrade step. If you choose BIND as DNS backend, instead of the internal DNS, then you, of course, have to finish this before you continue. Depending on your needs, you can have different backends on each of your DC.

• You should remove any existing smb.conf in /usr/local/samba/etc/.

• Be sure, that you have your setup your existing domain correctly as your default realm in /etc/krb5.conf with the following options:

Not sure why you needed it.
    That is a very good question. But based on the problem I got, the solution I found was sufficient. I did search for smb.conf and couldn't find one. Samba didn't start until I added a smb.conf to
    Code:
    /usr/local/samba/etc
    Not sure why it solved it, but it worked for me.

Beans
    Distro

When I read through the thread I see that the first problem evolved into two. From the beginning I could run domain join on the server but samba stopped working after the join. Then I did a fresh install of ubuntu and samba and samba didn't work.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123