Thread: logrotate for mail.log does not seem to be working.

Beans
    Hidden!

logrotate for mail.log does not seem to be working.

Hi all,

I want to logrotate /var/log/mail.log in a special way.

crontab looks like this...
    Code:
    17 *	* * *	root    cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.hourly
    25 6	* * *	root	test -x /usr/sbin/anacron || ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.daily )
    47 6	* * 7	root	test -x /usr/sbin/anacron || ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.weekly )
    52 6	1 * *	root	test -x /usr/sbin/anacron || ( cd / && run-parts --report /etc/cron.monthly )
    So every morning at 6:25AM the daily will run.

I have edited /etc/logrotate.conf to look like this..
    Code:
    # system-specific logs may be configured here
    /var/log/mail.log {
        missingok
        daily
        rotate 7
        create
        compress
        start 0
    }
    What I am trying to do is keep 7 days worth of logs for mail log and to rotate the log daily, and start with the extension of .0

However, I find this is not working. The log is not being rotated. Each morning I look after 6:25 has passed and I only see "mail.log" and it contains the logs for multiple days, and only keeps getting bigger.

What am I missing here.

Thanks!

Beans

Re: logrotate for mail.log does not seem to be working.

Try running "sudo logrotate --force" to get things started. Also you can run "sudo logrotate -d" to get logrotate to examine its configuration and tell you what it would do. See "man logrotate" for details.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: logrotate for mail.log does not seem to be working.

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    Try running "sudo logrotate --force" to get things started. Also you can run "sudo logrotate -d" to get logrotate to examine its configuration and tell you what it would do. See "man logrotate" for details.
    Thank you.
    Now I have to wait until tomorrow to see if it will actually rotate by itself.
    I also discovered there was an original rotation setup in /etc/logrotate.d/rsyslog that had mail.log to rotate weekly. I removed it as I do not know if this too would have been causing logrotate to have some conflict with the two mail.log entries asking to be rotated at different intervals.

I'll report back tomorrow.