Thread: Getting "Starting load fallback graphics devices [fail]" - after Nvidia module update

Beans

Getting "Starting load fallback graphics devices [fail]" - after Nvidia module update

I am having an issue getting "Starting load fallback graphics devices [fail]".
    I suspect that it is due to a 3rd party (Nvidia) driver for my VGA card.
    I put Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Desktop (downloaded 22 Sept 2013) on my old PC: Asus P5W DH, Some intel dual core proc, ~4GB RAM, and an Nvidia GTS450 - all several years old.
    It all installed easily & ran great at first! (This is my first Linux venture. Total noob.)

THEN I got the bright idea of installing the 'latest' graphics card driver, er, module, which I downloaded from NVidia for Linux.
    While I could get it downloaded, I couldn't' get it to install. Kept getting a root error.
    So, after hunting round in system preferences (or the like) I found a cute little icon of a PCI board that did it all for me. I forget the name (and currently can't reboot into Ubuntu) but it was something like "Install 3rd Party Drivers".
    It worked a treat. Downloaded and installed something from Nvidia and looked successful. So, I went to bed.

Next day - No boot. I just get a screen full of Starting this that & other, including "Starting load fallback graphics devices [fail]".
    (Trying to load a pic here)
    [IMG]file:///C:/CurtsUbuntuErr1.jpg[/IMG]

I suspect I need to uninstall the Nvidia module and reinstall the Nouveau modules. (I'd prefer to do this than to reinstall the whole Ubuntu OS again as I already installed and set up my ROR environment.)
    Can anyone direct me to a set of instructions on how to do this??

I can get to Grub, but that's about it.

Thanks for any help!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Getting "Starting load fallback graphics devices [fail]" - after Nvidia module up

Press Ctrl. Alt. F1. Enter your username and password. (In the password, not even asterisks show up. This is normal.)

user@computer:~$ [flashing-cursor]

Try:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get purge nvidia-current
    Then:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install noveau-firmware xserver-xorg-video-nouveau xsever-xorg-video-nouveau-dbg
    Post any errors with [CODE]Code/Error[/CODE] tags, to make it end up like:

Code:
    Code/Error
    Avatar credit: http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2010/07/d...-spread-ubuntu
    Note: I shall not respond to any PMs/threads for the rest of this 2014, as I will be very busy. Sorry for any inconvenience

Beans

Re: Getting "Starting load fallback graphics devices [fail]" - after Nvidia module up

Thanks Jonathan, but I couldn't find any point at which I could get Alt-Ctrl-F1 to work. I ended up re-installing the OS. I think it was quicker.

Beans

Hi,

I ran into a same problem the other day and the Internet can't seem to fetch the installation you recommended there (sudo apt-get install noveau-firmware xserver-xorg-video-nouveau xsever-xorg-video-nouveau-dbg) even though the NW cable is blinking and all. What other choice do I have, besides re-installing, to get my system up-and-running again.

Thanks.

Beans

I assume when you so alt, you are referring to the "option" button on a macbook?

Beans

I had same problem. This solved it.
    http://news.softpedia.com/news/How-t...4-295542.shtml

Beans

Hi! I have a similar problem.
    In the device driver, I took the wrong version of the driver NVIDIA.

1. Reboot computer and hold the Left Shift Key down.
    2. Select boot into recovery mode.
    3. After a few seconds you should get the "Recovery Mode Options" screen.
    4. Select "clean Tryto make free space".
    5. Then I chose to remove the driver package Nvidia. Be careful, you may be a few other packages to remove. Prior to confirming please read what packages will be deleted! Sorry for my English.

Beans

Regarding:

I recommend a full ubuntu installation rather than a wubi install
    . Ask me why.

I am having the same issue. Why do you "
    recommend a full ubuntu installation"? I'm trying to decide whether to start all over again. Do you know of a step-by-step reinstall guide? (PC was working fine until an update.)

Beans

Hi. My facts are similar to the ones you described. I have been trying to repair, but its not working. Do you recall the steps you used to re-install 12.04? I'm thinking that might be faster than a repair.