Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I can not boot into my Windows7 or Ubuntu Linux 12.04.3, after deleting partitions.

Beans

I can not boot into my Windows7 or Ubuntu Linux 12.04.3, after deleting partitions.

Hi everyone,

I'm very new to this Forum and begging for help with my problem.

First time trying to install Ubuntu Linux 12.04.3 to dual boot with my Windows7 64bit on an Asus K55A laptop.

After installing the Linux from Live CD, I didn't see dual-boot. It booted to windows7.

I changed the Booting order in the BIOS and booted to Ubuntu, used gparted to partition the Single hard disk with partitioned into two (System and Data).

In the process, I've damaged both OS's (Windows7 & Ubuntu). Now I cann't boot into any of them.

Attached a snapshoot from the "Try Ubuntu"; I used gparted.

I used Testdisk as recommended in this Forum to recover the Partitions as shown on the attachment.
    I've also use "Boot-Repair" as recommended here but still can not boot into Windows or Ubuntu.

Any help will be highly appreciated.

Richardn2
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by richardn2; September 24th, 2013 at 10:56 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: I can not boot into my Windows7 or Ubuntu Linux 12.04.3, after deleting partition

(Since you have more than 4 partitions, and no extended partitions, I'm assuming you have a Guid Partition Table) Do you have UEFI or BIOS?

UEFI: Make a fat32 partition 250-MB with a boot flag. (Windows might not be able to boot anymore )
    BIOS: Make an un-formatted partition 1-MB with a bios_grub flag (Windows might boot )

If no change, please post here.
    -Jonathan

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: I can not boot into my Windows7 or Ubuntu Linux 12.04.3, after deleting partition

Partitions as shown do not exactly make sense. Not typical UEFI nor BIOS install. Did you recover some extra partitions with testdisk?

Post link to BootInfo report from Boot-Repair. It may show more.

Post the link to the BootInfo report that this creates. Is part of Boot-Repair:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Info
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Man I just had this exact problem happen to me last night actually. And at first I was like OH snap I just F'd this computer up. But yeah samething I was messing with the partitions after I had the dual boot going. I had Win7 and Ubuntu 12.04.3 I think. Anyway I ended up deleting a partition off the space I left for Ubuntu because I wasn't 100% on keeping Win7. So anyway long story short all I ended up having to do was install Ubuntu from my jump drive (using my wifes laptop of course) because when my PC would start up all i would see was a black screen and it would say something about "gnome" or something like that. Anyway I just went to the BIOS and changed the boot from CD to USB as the sequence and then I plugged in my jump drive restarted my PC and boom that was it. Of course once I went through the installing process I just installed Ubuntu on my PC as the main OS. So yeah that's my story. Hope you can figure it out.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Precise View Post
    (Since you have more than 4 partitions, and no extended partitions, I'm assuming you have a Guid Partition Table) Do you have UEFI or BIOS?

UEFI: Make a fat32 partition 250-MB with a boot flag. (Windows might not be able to boot anymore )
    BIOS: Make an un-formatted partition 1-MB with a bios_grub flag (Windows might boot )

If no change, please post here.

Thanks Jonathan,

I have UEFI; I'm sure that is why my Windows7 can't bot anymore.

You can see from the attachment all the Windows7 files still there from Recovery. I can't see the "Users Folder" where my documents and desktop are stored. How can I recover it?

Any suggestions?

Beans

Hi there,

PC boot the hard disk in Legacy boot.
    Ubuntu installed in the Legacy Mode

I follow all the steps from the below link to fixed my PC but in the end it still can not boot boot into windows or ubuntu.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

Attached are shoots I took as the repair process was going on.

After the URL, I clicked OK and rebooted the pc; went to the BIOS and changed the booting sequence to start from the Hard disk.

Below is the error messages I got:a

"Windows failed to start. A recent Hardware or Software change might be the cause".

"Status: 0xc0000225"

"Info: the boot selection failed because a required device is inaccessible".

I followed all the steps from this URL: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair.

Attached are also shoots I took during the process.

What else am I missing?

Plse help.

Thanks for you time and attention.

Richardn2
    Last edited by richardn2; September 25th, 2013 at 05:32 AM.

Beans

attachments

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Boot-Repair will not fix most Windows issues. It will add a Windows boot loader if required, but that is about all it can do. It may turn on chkdsk flag so Windows will run chkdsk, but usually you need a Windows repairCD or flash drive to fix Windows.

Post the link (clickable link) to the BootInfo report that Boot-Repair creates so we can see details.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

put in windows dvd and boot from DVD then select repair option, and it may boot fine. Worked for me

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Given that Win7 was on a laptop, I'm probably safe in presuming that the OP does NOT have a Win7 installation DVD, or Win7 Repair CD, right?

If that's true, you can purchase the ISO image needed to make a Win7 Repair CD from the following link: http://neosmart.net/blog/2009/window...-repair-discs/

Sorry, but you could have made this same disk for free when Win7 was working, before you installed Ubuntu.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast