Thread: How feasible is it for the NSA to tap into linux like it does Windows?

Beans

How feasible is it for the NSA to tap into linux like it does Windows?

Here is a link to some posts I thought might be of interest to the security community:

http://www.reddit.com/r/linux/commen...ap_into_linux/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How feasible is it for the NSA to tap into linux like it does Windows?

If using SSL, DNS and commercial certs, I think that it is very likely. Those are each flawed in different ways.
    If using multiple encryption methods like AES and Blowfish on a Truecrypt volume, and a long, random passphrase and keyfile are employed, I think it very unlikely.

Can't look at reddit here - blocked by the nasty network admin, just like many of the other NSA/CIA fronts on the internet. TOR exit nodes, Facebooks, Googles, Tweeters, Yahoo, FourSquaring, InLinked, insert-cell-company-here, insert-isp-here .... anything centralized. The companies don’t have any choice but to do what the NSA/CIA/FBI tell them. It is treason if they don't. Big companies will be blocked from bidding on lucrative federal contracts if they don't "play nice" too.

For communications that cannot be performed using non-public encryption, federated services are what we want - federated ... like XMPP and SMTP. It is easy for any government to visit {insert huge company corporate office here} and deliver a letter demanding access to data. It is harder for any government to visit 500,000 email server admins and do the same thing.

IPv6 will turn the internet into a needle in 1,000,000,000,000 haystacks. Impossible to be spidered, impossible to be searched.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How feasible is it for the NSA to tap into linux like it does Windows?

Moved to Recurring, as this is about the 12th thread we've seen on this matter.