Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Asus G55VW laptop screen brightness adjust

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Beans
    26

    Asus G55VW laptop screen brightness adjust

    hey, i'm trying to reduce brightness on my screen because it is currently stuck at 100% from day 1 of ubuntu use. I have FN + F keys to adjust brightness but they don't work, that was a given. I tried xbacklight but when I set the brightness either by directly setting or reducing it dosen't do anything it just says it did it in terminal.

    I recently tried
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/default/grub
    and placed

    Code:
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_backlight=vendor"
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="acpi_osi=Linux"
    Save and exit.


    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    Restart. and it should make FN keys work but no good. Heres link to post on it.


    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/1...ptop-in-ubuntu

    I don't understand what the above method does, my guess is I'm suppose to insert my monitors name into some parameter but not sure. So now I'm posting for help with my laptop specifically.

    Link to laptop spec sheet http://www.asus.com/ROG_ROG/G55VW/#specifications

    Any help is appreciated

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Asus G55VW laptop screen brightness adjust

    Which version of Ubuntu are you using?

    Have you installed the proprietary nvidia drivers or are you using the opensource nouveau drivers. Entering this command in a terminal window should help identify it:
    Code:
    lspci -k | grep -A3 VGA
    If you are using the proprietary nvidia drivers, you can try adding:
    Code:
    Option          "RegistryDwords" "EnableBrightnessControl=1"
    ...to the Device section of your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

    If you are using the opensource nouveau drivers, you're probably going to need to set up nvidiabl.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Beans
    26

    Re: Asus G55VW laptop screen brightness adjust

    Quote Originally Posted by Toz View Post
    Which version of Ubuntu are you using?

    Have you installed the proprietary nvidia drivers or are you using the opensource nouveau drivers. Entering this command in a terminal window should help identify it:
    Code:
    lspci -k | grep -A3 VGA
    If you are using the proprietary nvidia drivers, you can try adding:
    Code:
    Option          "RegistryDwords" "EnableBrightnessControl=1"
    ...to the Device section of your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.

    If you are using the opensource nouveau drivers, you're probably going to need to set up nvidiabl.
    Thanks for the reply.

    First off, the xorg.conf file didn't exist and after some searching I found out it never did exist as it is no longer needed apparently. If however I wish to create my own xorg.conf file I can do so and did threw this help of this thread

    http://askubuntu.com/questions/25746...snt-exist?lq=1

    after creating that I used VI in terminal to over write this file that was only access-able by root. This is exactly what I did:



    After this I saved and quit. Now trying to adjust brightness either via FN keys or even threw display settings that Ubuntu has but nothing happened I probably just pasted

    Code:
    Option          "RegistryDwords" "EnableBrightnessControl=1"
    in the wrong place. Please correct me if I did. There were a lot of places with the word device and so I just put it there because it had the driver I was using...

    Again i'm using a Asus G55VW

    Last edited by miguel6; September 26th, 2013 at 03:22 AM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Asus G55VW laptop screen brightness adjust

    Are you using the proprietry nvidia drivers of the opensource nouveau drivers? Try running this command in the terminal window:
    Code:
    lspci -k | grep -A3 VGA

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Beans
    26

    Re: Asus G55VW laptop screen brightness adjust

    Quote Originally Posted by Toz View Post
    Are you using the proprietry nvidia drivers of the opensource nouveau drivers? Try running this command in the terminal window:
    Code:
    lspci -k | grep -A3 VGA


    I have the proprietry nvidia drivers I installed from the nvidia website. In order to install it, it made me create

    Code:
    nvidia-installer-disable-nouveau.conf
    which as the file says disables nouveau.

    Not sure if it helps but I have FN keys that do work. All work except brightness really.
    Last edited by miguel6; September 26th, 2013 at 04:03 AM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Asus G55VW laptop screen brightness adjust

    Quote Originally Posted by miguel6 View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

    First off, the xorg.conf file didn't exist and after some searching I found out it never did exist as it is no longer needed apparently. If however I wish to create my own xorg.conf file I can do so and did threw this help of this thread

    http://askubuntu.com/questions/25746...snt-exist?lq=1

    after creating that I used VI in terminal to over write this file that was only access-able by root. This is exactly what I did:



    After this I saved and quit. Now trying to adjust brightness either via FN keys or even threw display settings that Ubuntu has but nothing happened I probably just pasted

    Code:
    Option          "RegistryDwords" "EnableBrightnessControl=1"
    in the wrong place. Please correct me if I did. There were a lot of places with the word device and so I just put it there because it had the driver I was using...

    Again i'm using a Asus G55VW

    Lets try again but this way. First, delete the xorg.conf file that you created. Secondly, create the file /usr/share/X11/xord.conf.d/15-nvidia.conf with the following content:
    Code:
    Section "Device"                                                                                                                                                                       
            Identifier     "Device0"                                                                                                                                                       
            Driver         "nvidia"                                                                                                                                                       
            VendorName     "NVIDIA Corporation"                                                                                                                                           
            Option         "RegistryDwords" "EnableBrightnessControl=1"                                                                                                                           
    EndSection
    ...and log out and back in again. Check the function keys and also please post back your Xorg.0.log file like this:
    Code:
    pastebinit /var/log/Xorg.0.log
    ...and post back the link that is generated.

    Also post back the contents of /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf/15-nvidia.conf.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Beans
    26

    Re: Asus G55VW laptop screen brightness adjust

    Again thanks for the help, really appreciate it.

    Here is the pastebin link...such a great feature! love it.

    http://paste.ubuntu.com/6160891/

    and this is the contents of /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf/15-nvidia.conf.



    This is still not resolved
    Last edited by miguel6; September 27th, 2013 at 02:17 AM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Asus G55VW laptop screen brightness adjust

    Looks like you might need to try nvidiabl then. Open a terminal window and execute these commands:
    Code:
    wget https://github.com/downloads/guillaumezin/nvidiabl/nvidiabl-dkms_0.80_all.deb
    sudo dpkg -i nvidiabl-dkms_0.80_all.deb
    sudo modprobe nvidiabl
    ...post back the results of those commands.

    Hopefully, everything will install normally, but the function keys may not work right off the bat. To test whether you can change the brightness:
    1. Get your current brightness value:
    Code:
    cat /sys/class/backlight/nvidia_backlight/actual_brightness
    2. Get your maximum allowed brightness value:
    Code:
    cat /sys/class/backlight/nvidia_backlight/max_brightness
    3. Set a new brightness value:
    Code:
    echo XX | sudo tee /sys/class/backlight/nvidia_backlight/brightness
    ...where XX is a value between 0 and the result of step #2.

    If you can change your brightness manually this way, try your fn function keys. If they don't work, we can try mapping them.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Beans
    26

    Re: Asus G55VW laptop screen brightness adjust

    Quote Originally Posted by Toz View Post
    Looks like you might need to try nvidiabl then. Open a terminal window and execute these commands:
    Code:
    wget https://github.com/downloads/guillaumezin/nvidiabl/nvidiabl-dkms_0.80_all.deb
    sudo dpkg -i nvidiabl-dkms_0.80_all.deb
    sudo modprobe nvidiabl
    ...post back the results of those commands.
    http://pastie.org/private/xsss4a6qfekjwjx3xqvivg

    There's a link to a copy paste of what happened in the terminal. The install was successful.

    OMG.

    Code:
    echo XX | sudo tee /sys/class/backlight/nvidia_backlight/brightness
    This works but FN keys still don't so I will have to map the keys as you mentioned. If you'd like you can post how to map the keys for the sake of this thread helping other people.

    Also, I've been wondering how do you know Linux so well ? I see threads of people asking for help and there is always an answer how to do it. I hate being the one to ask ten thousand questions...so how do you know all these different methods and linux commands ? I guess I should study a linux API

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Asus G55VW laptop screen brightness adjust

    Good news.

    First thing to do is to make the loading of the module automatic on every boot. As root, append nvidiabl to the list of modules to auto-start in /etc/modules.

    Second, lets get a full report of your backlight interfaces:
    Code:
    for i in /sys/class/backlight/*; do echo $i; cat $i/brightness; cat $i/actual_brightness; cat $i/max_brightness; done
    Thirdly, lets get the codes for your function keys. Open a terminal window and type in:
    Code:
    acpi_listen
    ...then press the function+brightness_up key combination once followed by function+brightness_down combination once. Post back the codes that are displayed in the terminal window. We will then create the necessary mappings specific for your computer.

    Also, I've been wondering how do you know Linux so well ? I see threads of people asking for help and there is always an answer how to do it. I hate being the one to ask ten thousand questions...so how do you know all these different methods and linux commands ? I guess I should study a linux API
    Basically, trial and error and lots of experience. I've been using Unix/Linux since about 1995 and have had a lot of opportunity to investigate the inner workings of this O/S. Don't worry about asking questions, I was the one asking them in 1995. Thats how you learn.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •