Thread: Skype Won't Open: Double Free or Corruption Error

Beans

Skype Won't Open: Double Free or Corruption Error

Hey guys,

I'm posting this question because nothing I've seen has helped me yet and I would really like to solve this problem.

I originally installed Skype for Ubuntu 13.04 (currently am running Skype 4.2 for Linux), and it worked fine with no issues. After a couple of uses however, everytime I logged in (put my username & password, and pressed "sign in" at the log in screen), the log in screen will either just disappear, or will turn dark as if there is a problem loading, and then crash and disappear. Sometimes there would be a crash report, sometimes not.

I've installed from Skype.com & from the software package already included with Ubuntu, but the problem remains the same. Purging and reinstalling don't help.

When I open from terminal and it crashes, the error message that pops up is titled: "double free or corruption (fasttop)", along with a whole lot of information. At the end of all the information it says Aborted (core dumped)

I don't know what to do, but I really would like to find out. Its important that I am able to log onto Skype, and I'm tired of seeing information on the problem that makes zero sense to me. If anyone can help walk me through the logical steps needed to solve this problem, as well as explain what it all means, I would be very thankful! I would love to figure out this problem and get a little closer to becoming an intelligent Ubuntu user.

Thanks!
    Last edited by MPeezy; September 25th, 2013 at 06:15 PM.